Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After a brief hiatus, I'm back on my 1966 LTD Project. I've spend the majority of my COVID time (and money) rebuilding my front clip. Motor has been gone through, transmission rebuild, strip and paint everything, etc. Its been a great time - 10/10 would do again.

I'm at the point where I'm starting to shift my attention to other areas. I think my next step is to buy a headliner and install it before I put my front and rear glass back in. I was just looking for some advice and pointers.

First, I was eyeing the headliner from Mac's/Ecklers. Just didn't know if anyone had any recommendations on any others that are good quality. Just need to make sure it doesn't have the dome light cutout.

Second, looking for a general procedure.... The headliner came out of this car 15+ years ago when my Dad started this project so I'm kinda piece together what I can from old pics and the existing evidence. Looks like there is only glue on the front and rear sections and the sides are held on with the trim? Looking for confirmation here... Also, are there supposed to my hooks to hold the front and rear bows in place? If so I'll need to source/make some.

Thanks guys!!!!

'66 LTD

·
Registered
856 Posts
Can't speak for the 68 but my 66 has glue front and rear only.
Sides held by the trim.
Last rear bow has 2 8" wire hooks to the rear.
No hooks on the sides, the bows just sorta "snap" into the holes on the sides.

·
Registered
856 Posts
You're welcome.
I should mention that I have seen YT videos where the headliner did get glued on the sides even tho it did not originally.

I guess it would work either way.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hey guys,

After a brief hiatus, I'm back on my 1966 LTD Project. I've spend the majority of my COVID time (and money) rebuilding my front clip. Motor has been gone through, transmission rebuild, strip and paint everything, etc. Its been a great time - 10/10 would do again.

I'm at the point where I'm starting to shift my attention to other areas. I think my next step is to buy a headliner and install it before I put my front and rear glass back in. I was just looking for some advice and pointers.

First, I was eyeing the headliner from Mac's/Ecklers. Just didn't know if anyone had any recommendations on any others that are good quality. Just need to make sure it doesn't have the dome light cutout.

Second, looking for a general procedure.... The headliner came out of this car 15+ years ago when my Dad started this project so I'm kinda piece together what I can from old pics and the existing evidence. Looks like there is only glue on the front and rear sections and the sides are held on with the trim? Looking for confirmation here... Also, are there supposed to my hooks to hold the front and rear bows in place? If so I'll need to source/make some.

Thanks guys!!!!

'66 LTD
Hello '66 LTD,

You might want to consider Headliner (acme auto). Their website isn't all that and you do have to email and ask for samples, but they did have the correct colour, grain pattern, and template for my '66 LTD 4 door hardtop in Ivy Gold. It was just dumb luck in searching around as I couldn't find this otherwise rare headliner anywhere else. Plus they made new sun visors.

Using light from the room....

Camera flash. The lower top and visor are the originals. The old sun visors are so rock hard I could use them as a cricket bat. The new visors are very soft.

and they gave me extra material to wrap the sail panels.

I also ordered the new headliner and visors for the '66 gal 500 XL 2 door hardtop from the same company as they had it in Palomino.

Just thoughts..

Cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello DesertXL,

Per your recommendation I emailed ACME Auto. They were very responsive and their pricing was pretty competitive for what was included so I actually just placed my order.

Thanks again!!

'66 LTD

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, while this thread is still going, what adhesive should I use for the front and rear of the headliner during install? My original plan was to use 3M's headliner aerosol, 38808, but I didn't know if it was better to go with more of a brush on adhesive. I've been doing some research online and watching videos, and I've seen it done both ways, just didn't know if anyone had any experience/preference using one over the other

Thanks guys,

'66

·
Registered
63 convertable
802 Posts
without experiance with the spray i would avoid .it easy to make a mess, great if you have used it a bunch. firsttimers should use brush on

·
Registered
69 Posts
For this style headliner, this adhesive is the best. The bows are the primary thing that holds them up, so the area that needs adhesive is just the edges. This allows you to apply adequately to the parts that need it without fear of overspray, etc. This stuff holds very well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the recommendations! All is appreciated! Will post pics in a couple weeks once I get everything installed. 👍🏻👍🏻

Best
'66

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, by the way. I have found that using some short, cut-up pieces of windlace material to be an excellent clamp on the glued edges to hold things tightly in place while the adhesive sets. If you have some old stuff from another project, that's the perfect use for it. If not, you can buy it by the foot fairly cheap. Also some Harbor Freight plastic clamps can get into some of the corners a bit better. Another tip is to put the visor bracket and coat-hook screws into their holes before you stretch and glue the headliner over them. This way, you can feel for the screw heads and just use the corner of a razor blade to pop them through. This saves you fishing around with a pick tool and guessing wrong as to where the holes should be.

Last one I did was a ‘66 Mustang, but very similar design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts