Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
No. Lots of differences between 6 and 8 cylinder cars. You can Google all that info, as it has been posted many times. But, different trans, motor mounts, stronger rear end, 5 lug wheels, etc. A lot of work to properly convert without a parts car or a big budget for a bunch of primary aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Engine/frame adapters are different. I have extra prs. Trans crossmember is different. 7.5 rearend won't handle a 289 long. The 65/66 8" rearend is different then other cars. They also used a narrowed rearend as you can see by the pic. 6 cyl used 4 lug wheels and V-8s are 5 lug. Also weaker suspension.
My 66 came with a 200 3 spd. 4 lug suspension. It was the true poster child for a Rustang. But since it was and still is a factory front bench seat, I redid it. Now, all 4 fenders replaced, new floor pans, hood, trunk lid, sets redone, 331 stroker, C-4, 8" Currie 3.55 posi. SSBC manual front dics, 10" rear drums with frame stiffeners and front/rear sway bars.
Just a matter of how much you want to spend. Anyway I can help you, just say the word. Advice is free and can save you big bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
you'd B more pleasantly surprised than I believe the last poster would lead U to believe. The 250 i6 had a lot of tq, the rear is fine on power, the engine hasa SBF bell so transmis swap. Hit us up at fordsix.com to sell that motor. We'll take it off ur hands to fund (partially) the swap...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Engine/frame adapters are different. I have extra prs. Trans crossmember is different. 7.5 rearend won't handle a 289 long. The 65/66 8" rearend is different then other cars. They also used a narrowed rearend as you can see by the pic. 6 cyl used 4 lug wheels and V-8s are 5 lug. Also weaker suspension.
My 66 came with a 200 3 spd. 4 lug suspension. It was the true poster child for a Rustang. But since it was and still is a factory front bench seat, I redid it. Now, all 4 fenders replaced, new floor pans, hood, trunk lid, sets redone, 331 stroker, C-4, 8" Currie 3.55 posi. SSBC manual front dics, 10" rear drums with frame stiffeners and front/rear sway bars.
Just a matter of how much you want to spend. Anyway I can help you, just say the word. Advice is free and can save you big bucks.
got a better look at the car and it has a 5 lug rear with a swapped auto 3 speed. have my prospects just gotten better?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also, did you have to get new sliders for the bench seat? if so, where did you get them from?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will a 289 hipo bolt in in place of a 200 6 cyl including reusing the automatic transmission? 1966 Ford Mustang
you'd B more pleasantly surprised than I believe the last poster would lead U to believe. The 250 i6 had a lot of tq, the rear is fine on power, the engine hasa SBF bell so transmis swap. Hit us up at fordsix.com to sell that motor. We'll take it off ur hands to fund (partially) the swap...
also my mistake, it is a ford ranchero (still 1966) and also has a 200 inline 6...

·
Registered
27 Posts
that wuz in the Torino (lill heavy but good stop lght to stop lght). The Bronco hada 170 (2.8) for 1/2 its 1st gen. The i6 has a stought 7 mains bottom end, revs to 6, 7K, lasts 250, 300K w/o rebuild (the 300, 4.9L 'the gasser that's a diesel' is as famous as the MB million mi motor). BUT the top end just can't breath w/the intergal log intake. That 200 is a lill revier, esp w/this: Small Six Aluminum Head Package | mysite

·
Registered
68 Posts
The bench seat was factory. Ford actually put bench seats in Stangs 65-69. 15K each year. And Cougars 67-68. Most dealers took them out and put in the buckets to sell them better. Iy's the same sliders as Falcons and other small/medium Fords use. Just the cable is adjusted different. Even has an arm rest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Boy, wish I could find some of those tracks. I gotta bench but no tracks. Do U think they'd have back shelved a buncha those? I bet I could sell a few (after gettin 1 myself!)...

Any 1 got one - just put the aol behind my 'handel'.
Thnx !
NOS 1964.5 - 19what'73?, yeah!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boy, wish I could find some of those tracks. I gotta bench but no tracks. Do U think they'd have back shelved a buncha those? I bet I could sell a few (after gettin 1 myself!)...

Any 1 got one - just put the aol behind my 'handel'.
Thnx !
NOS 1964.5 - 19what'73?, yeah!
hey i got the same prob... maybe i will have to convert to buckets...

·
Registered
27 Posts
aahahahaaa. BTW: that 200 has the wrong bell for the bent8. There were 6 of those i6 motors only 3 match the 'SBF' (a misnomer as ford uses 'families' while che**y uses "SB, BB") the 250 (now in my bronk) and 240/300/4.9L. As said the 200/3.3 is a tqie lill guy & w/the DSII (oem ign) early advanced timing kit (pre '72), etc can B a lght, fun choice. I'd put that head I cited earlier:
on, a Bilstien St/Strip suspension, or MaxMotorsport, frnt discs and have a nice SCCA style racer...
I can home make U an adaptor for a AOD or get U a wc T5 transmis. Dun'n fun.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dieselboss15,
I have a complete '67 Ranchero bench seat. I switched ( expensive!) to factory buckets/console. I would trade these tracks and "cross wire" for a pair of '65-6 Mustang tracks/cross wire. If you were local to So Cal , I would give you the whole bench seat! I also have a V8 C4 bellhousing and parts to make you 6cyl C4 V8 worthy. I have a 408W and 9" 31spline rear in mine.
Randy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I could use the bench track (weld ona riser one side) for my '60/5 Ranch bench (2nd gen). Not sure this is the same width. Have U measured? 'Fairlane' is bigger than 'falcon'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts