Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
your cars suspension was designed with tall sidewall tires in mind. the tires are part of the suspension. imo anything lower than 60 series tires are going to give you a harsh ride, and less control .hard to trade looks for logic

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That makes sense. I knew the car used 28” tires on 15” wheels originally but didn’t realize at what point lowering the profile on a 17” wheel would make for a harsh ride with the galaxie. Thanks

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
based on yesterday's info, I stopped looking at 40, 45, and 50 series tires. i focused on 60 series tires but wasn't super impressed with the performance reviews so I considered 55 series tires as well. TireRack has reviews on all the best tires in the 235/55 and 235/60 R17 categories, so I put the higher rated tires into a spreadsheet for comparison (see attached pic). The sheet is in order from lowest overall average score at the top to highest score at the bottom. Scores that stood out as being somewhat bad are highlighted in red while the standout good scores are highlighted in blue. I'm not sure how much to trust the reviews since they are mostly done on 18" wheels using BMWs (completely different than my Galaxie plans)... but this is the only test data I could find. thought some other folks might find it useful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Ive been trying to relate tire performance to tire size across the vehicles I drive. The suspensions aren’t equal and the tire makes are different but it’s the only thing I can relate to.

The work truck is a 2019 Silverado with 255/70 r17. That’s a 31” tire. General Grabber HTS. Sidewall height is 7”. The tires were selected to take loads in the back of the bed so there’s a ton of bounce in the ride. They flex and roll over. It’s actually quite miserable to ride in the truck.

My personal truck is a 2014 f150 with 265/60 r18. That’s a 30.5” tire. Michelin LTX AS. Sidewall height is 6.25”. I do notice a little bounce in the ride and a few bumps can be felt in the cabin. Sometimes the tires feel mushy.

Our Durango rt has 265/50 r20. They are 30.5” tires. Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus. Sidewall height is 5.25”. Performance is absolutely outstanding but the ride is rough and miserable. The tires make loud booming sounds when we hit bumps and the substantial road noise is a constant aggravation.

If the aspect ratio causes performance characteristics thenI’m afraid 60 series tires may be mushy while 55 series may be too rough

if it’s as simple as finding the magical sidewall height to get a balanced tire experience (in this case between 5.25” and 6.25) then a 235/60 sidewall height is 5.55” which falls into this range while a 235/55 would be 5.1” and may be too small.

if the rim size affects this in combination with section height then 18” wheels would be right but I don’t want that on my galaxie plus magnum 500s look strange when stretched to that diameter

Maybe a little too short or too tall of a sidewall can be overcome by getting a good set of ultra performance all season tires like Michelin pilot AS 3 or Pirelli Pzero AS Plus.

Or if it’s all of this combined then it’s no wonder I’m still asking questions. Unfortunately, there is no Big Tire Comparo thread where someone bought 5 different sizes of 10 different tire makes for 4 different size wheels to try on a galaxie (like the big intake comparo FE thread that’s so popular).

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think using low profile 17" or 18" wheels on a fifty plus year old stock suspension car is like putting mittens on a pig. I don't know what you expect from the combination but I can't see the tires being useful. The combination of over engineered tires on an old suspension doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put 235/50/18's on the front and 235/55/18's on the rear, with all new rudder front end bushings. And changed the front sway. bar to 1 1/4 ? My have been 1"....the handling was quite improved on my pig..I can't say as to tires and road noise it being a convertible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here are pics. 235/60/15's on the magnum 500's. and the staggered 235/50/18's front 235/55/18's rear on Vision rims I forgot the style,,..and 235/60/17 vision's. They had the two step ..which I didn't care for...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
This sounds like a classic case of analysis paralysis.By the described use of the car a performance tire is not needed. I certainly understand the desire to think that a performance tire will enhance the feeling and coolness of the hot rod we love so much, but it is mostly in the mind on a cruiser/driver vehicle. I don't think tires alone will do a great deal to improve cornering, for that you need suspension work. New, big sway bars will help with body roll, but then that may put even more lateral pressure on the sidewalls, which could lead to great enhancement with shorter side walls.

I currently run 225/75R15's, used to run 235/70R15's, but didn't want to spend the money for them the last time I needed tires. They kind of look a bit like pizza cutters, which has a lot to do with them being on the original 5.5" wheels. I think the narrow rim allows for more lateral movement than you would get from the same tire on a wider rim. My wish list includes a sway bar upgrade, bigger front bar and add a rear bar and then new wheels and tires, probably 17, or 18's. I think these old cars look better with some sidewall on the tires, no rubber bands please, so 18's will still provide 5" sidewall height for my 28" overall diameter, which seems pretty good.

Pick a tire you like the look of and the price of. You can't look at them when you're driving and everyone else will just see black circles around your wheels as you go past.

·
Subscriber
524 Posts
I'm running the Scarebird conversion - haven't had any trouble with it.
With that said, all things equal I would always install the largest rotor possible.

At the same time, I also installed late-model Mustang "bullitt" (or whatever) wheels with the proper hub-centric spacers.
I hated the way the wide, low-profile tires made the car wander...even though the front suspension is freshly rebuilt back to stock.

I went back to black powder-coated Ranger truck steelies, and spider caps. Low price, classic look, classic ride quality.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts