Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I read back through this whole thread again and I've picked a route forward.

tires... quite a few folks said the car was designed for huge sidewall tires. extech stated that the suspension needs at least a 60ratio tire by design. i can go up to a 17" rim, use a 60 profile tire, and still get the original 28" tire diameter. Puttster went with 17in wheels and said it made the ride rough which had me worried, but he used 225/50s which is a 26" dia low profile tire. I've decided on 235/60R17 on all four corners. This meets the 28" stock tire diameter (speedo will be accurate), adds 10% more contact patch versus what the car came with (215vs235), allows me to rotate tires like normal, shouldn't float like a boat, yet shouldn't pound me to death while driving. super performance tires are not available in this profile/size, but even with the full hotchkis supension... the 4400lb galaxie will never be a sport car. Also, in this size, there are good tires like the michelin premier LTX and Conti truecontact tour. i feel like this is a good compromise all around.

rims... i was going with the scott drake mag500s since it's a mustang wheel, but I really like the classic gray american racing torq thrust. not exactly what was offered by AR in the 60s but its close enough. I'm thinking 17x8 with 4.07" backspace to keep me off the ball joints in the front. Tell me if that's wrong but I believe others have posted using 245width and 4.5" backspacing in the front.

disc brakes... I heavily considered buying the miscellaneous parts to make an all Ford disc upgrade. desertxl confirmed that the accompanying back brakes are problematic. Wilwood makes a nice kit, so that's my route forward. i was leaning toward the 4piston kit, but for $500 extra I can upgrade to the 6R big brakes. I don't need the upgrade but they do run cooler and the bodies appear to be built better than the 4piston kits (which is out of necessity to prevent flex in the body) and they do look pretty sweet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
so my step dad brought up a good point over the weekend when discussing the car. we can fit a 275/60r15 in the back, even though there's more sidewall vs the 235/60r17, it's still a 60 series tire and gets more meat in the rear where the traction is needed to put the power to the ground. this would look period correct for the car with cooper cobra GT raised white letter tires. the wilwood 11" disk brakes should be more than big enough. we can use old school looking rims with the old dog dish caps or american racing torq thrust wheels (8" front and 10" rear) . it can look good and feel good either way -- 15s or 17s.
I guess for my last post in this thread, it's become incredibly obvious that everything is a tradeoff with no way to win all around and no perfect answer. so I wanted to again thank everyone who gave their input. I can internally justify going either way -- a staggered 15" setup with 235/60r15 in front and 275/60r15 in rear... or 235/60r17 on all four corners

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
so my step dad brought up a good point over the weekend when discussing the car. we can fit a 275/60r15 in the back, even though there's more sidewall vs the 235/60r17, it's still a 60 series tire and gets more meat in the rear where the traction is needed to put the power to the ground. this would look period correct for the car with cooper cobra GT raised white letter tires. the wilwood 11" disk brakes should be more than big enough. we can use old school looking rims with the old dog dish caps or american racing torq thrust wheels (8" front and 10" rear) . it can look good and feel good either way -- 15s or 17s.
I guess for my last post in this thread, it's become incredibly obvious that everything is a tradeoff with no way to win all around and no perfect answer. so I wanted to again thank everyone who gave their input. I can internally justify going either way -- a staggered 15" setup with 235/60r15 in front and 275/60r15 in rear... or 235/60r17 on all four corners
Hello Isugymrat24,

Wow a 275 is a pretty wide tyre. Just make sure you check your backset carefully and in worst case condition of the car jacked up and rear axle dangling on shock stop. Remember the panhard (track) bar causes the axle to move up and down on an arc and moves the axle laterally with respect to the frame. The axle is more or less centre'd when the car is at designed ride height but as the rear end is raised or lowered one tyre will get closer to the frame rail and the other will get closer to the outer wheel house in the body. You don't want to be rubbing over bumps :)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
so i thought I was done posting to this thread... but so many of you said to keep the 15s and look at 60 to 65 series tires. I'm surprised that i've talked myself back around to the idea of OE style 15s. I don't see much of these on the old cars at shows. everyone has torq thrusts or magnum 500s or Cragars or something very similar whether on a ford or chevy. so going back to the original look may actually be more unique.
coker tire makes a ford OE style steel wheel that is fully welded, offer extra room for disc brakes, made in USA, and supposedly takes my dog dish caps. Available in 7", 8", or 10" width in the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. They are available in primer or full chrome on the site, but they can do something custom. They can do black powder coat with chrome trim ring or a chrome barrel with black interior face. I really like the idea of that look with the poverty caps / dog dishes.
has anyone used the OE style wheels from Coker Tire?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
they would look similar to the mustang GT wheels except more of a stock looking wheel. the wheels i have now are old and pitted so I painted them black, so this would be similar but with the chrome barrel and the wider wheels for in the back

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
so i thought I was done posting to this thread... but so many of you said to keep the 15s and look at 60 to 65 series tires. I'm surprised that i've talked myself back around to the idea of OE style 15s. I don't see much of these on the old cars at shows. everyone has torq thrusts or magnum 500s or Cragars or something very similar whether on a ford or chevy. so going back to the original look may actually be more unique.
coker tire makes a ford OE style steel wheel that is fully welded, offer extra room for disc brakes, made in USA, and supposedly takes my dog dish caps. Available in 7", 8", or 10" width in the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. They are available in primer or full chrome on the site, but they can do something custom. They can do black powder coat with chrome trim ring or a chrome barrel with black interior face. I really like the idea of that look with the poverty caps / dog dishes.
has anyone used the OE style wheels from Coker Tire?
Hello Isugymrat24,

I'm on the same page as you thinking about original wheels and how they once were so ubiquitous and boring but now since they are scarce and so long out of mainstream are kind of unique now and will garner attention especially with succeeding generations. I left the original wheels rims on our '66 LTD and used a 235 series tyre on it. I used the same skinny rims (have no need to upgrade as it is still power 4 wheel drum brakes) and using the LTD hubcaps of which are really kind of rare now. The difference in the galaxie 500 hubcap and the LTD is the centre plastic emblem. I have to yet to see one '66 LTD with its original hubcaps, so I think it's apropos to the uniqueness of the car.

Good luck with whatever you end up going with.

Cheers

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hello Isugymrat24,

I'm on the same page as you thinking about original wheels and how they once were so ubiquitous and boring but now since they are scarce and so long out of mainstream are kind of unique now and will garner attention especially with succeeding generations. I left the original wheels rims on our '66 LTD and used a 235 series tyre on it. I used the same skinny rims (have no need to upgrade as it is still power 4 wheel drum brakes) and using the LTD hubcaps of which are really kind of rare now. The difference in the galaxie 500 hubcap and the LTD is the centre plastic emblem. I have to yet to see one '66 LTD with its original hubcaps, so I think it's apropos to the uniqueness of the car.

Good luck with whatever you end up going with.

Cheers
I also like the look of factory wheel covers on these cars. :)
Here's mine with the factory wheel covers before I tore it all apart for restoring and modding...

Going forward I will keep the factory wheels and wheel covers.... but....
....being a restomod I plan to also have some aftermarket wheels and tires for it.

I have not finalized my choice but will likely go with 15" "Slot Mags" as they were known back in the day.

Something like this...

I really like the look of those Mags with 50 or 60 series wide-ish tires. Gives it that old school hot-roddy kind of look :)

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
man what a pretty car. i just realized you have the louvered hood and trunk car. first time i noticed the louvers was in the 65 galaxie hood scoop thread on the FE site. I still wish my paint and trim looked like yours.
I like your old caps but agree on the slot mags (also seen them called ansen sprint). that would look good with the chrome trim on our 66 cars, as well.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
there are so many options for wheels that all look good on these cars -- salt flats, magnum 500s, rodders, ansen sprints, cragars, classic torq thrust, more modern mustang wheels, our stock wheels. i love salt flats. my wife loves the torq thrusts. my step dad is all about magnum 500s. lots of good options in 15", 17", and 18"

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
of course you want your tires to stick out a little to protect the rim but 275.. might look a little goofy 😃

Reactions: lsugymrat24

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
This is a good point. I put 225/60s on my stock rims and they balloon out about 2” already. Even with 40lbs of pressure they look squishy and flat. I forgot to measure the width of the rim before having the tires put on but they can’t be very wide.
The 15” coketire OE style rims come in 7, 8, and 10” width. For a 235 tire I was thinking 8” wide. and if I go wide in the back, I was thinking 10” wide rim with 275 tire.
If I go with 17” mag wheels, I’m thinking 8” wide all around with 235s.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
This is the chart I’ve been using lately. Is this accurate? If so, Wish I had it when I bought my last set of tires
*** in case anyone is interested, I found that chart on Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange by searching "tire width by rim width"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
nice chart. Hope I remember it next time i buy tires too.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Here’s another chart I’ve been using after finding out the 66 came with 28” tall tires. this is available at tiresize.com and shows all of the 28" diameter tires by rim size. I’m at least trying to keep as close to 28” overall diameter for the rear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
by the way Puttster, I'm still extremely jealous of the cragars on your 65. its the reason i started considering 17" wheels. i'm a huge fan of the cragars... and haven't ruled them out in 15s or 17s either. but i can't convince my wife that I need a few different sets of wheels depending on how I wake up in the morning.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
This is the chart I’ve been using lately. Is this accurate? If so, Wish I had it when I bought my last set of tires
*** in case anyone is interested, I found that chart on Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange by searching "tire width by rim width"
This chart doesn't jive with my experience. On my stock 5.5" wide wheels I've always run wider than what that chart says. Currently I run 225/75 R15 and used to run 235/70 R15.

I've posted this link a few times before, it is a great tool for finding and comparing wheel and tire sizes. Custom wheels, rim tire packages

Reactions: lsugymrat24
61 - 76 of 76 Posts