Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Parking Brakes Finished - Continued

brakes_20.jpg

This is the finished product. I had reservations about the smaller radius curves of the parking brake cable by mounting them at the top of the axle, but since these are new cables and coated, plus I greased them, even the smaller reduced springs are strong enough to relieve tension fully on the parking brake lever as shown. The hook is disengaged.

brakes_21.jpg

brakes_22.jpg

brakes_23.jpg

I applied force to the lever (where the pedal cable would attach) and the parking brakes fully work and disengage fully when released.

brakes_24.jpg

Plus the bleeder screw is now perfectly on top.

brakes_25.jpg

On both sides.

This turned out better than originally planned. But it was a long road.

brakes_26.jpg

These are the last parts I need to remake. These ride on the parking brake inner cables and slide down the 'V' to the torque boxes to prevent road debris from entering the casing. I'll have to order some EPDM rubber and drill these out as these old ones are falling apart.

Next will be the engine and body mounts/hardware.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Misc Brakes and Overview
Brakes_1.jpg

These are the dust shields I needed to make for the parking brake cables.

Brakes_2.jpg

I have a sheet of EPDM and tried using a standard hole saw to cut out the discs.

Brakes_3.jpg

However the pilot hole was too big, so I removed the pilot bit and slowed the speed on the drill press down to the lowest speed and it worked just fine.

Brakes_4.jpg

I used a smaller drill bit and then a straight edge gasket maker knife to cut the slices.

Brakes_5.jpg

Installed.

Brakes_6.jpg

Brakes_7.jpg

Just to recap I know the parking brake cable casing is routed differently and a bit extreme compared to the original configuration but the inner cable slides easily.

Brakes_8.jpg

Now the chassis is ready for the next round of items; these are the body mounts, tail pipe hangers, bumper bracket hardware and of course an engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Body Mounts: Preliminary

Mounts_1.jpg

First step was to find good examples of used hardware to refurbish. I do keep all the little odd bits off of parts cars. Some of the hardware is either too rusted away or just plain broken so it pays to keep hard to find hardware like this.

Mounts_2.jpg

I bought a new body mount kit for the '66. But holy cow the pieces in the box are all extras. Seems like such a waste.

Mounts_3.jpg

First round of hardware refurbishment, still much to do.

Now the preliminary engine planning.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Engine Planning
This is the more the sticky wicket part of the refurbishment. A few years back before the LTD wormed its way into the fold I started on refurbishing the '66 galaxie 500. Now that project was discontinued in favour of the LTD and now the galaxie 500 XL. Now the plain Jane galaxie 500 had a 352 and it was well on its way to being built. When the '66 LTD came to roost here I ended up taking the similar parts from the 352 to complete the 390 in that car.

But the machining to the block and crank were finished as well as a custom set of pistons were made to suit gapless rings.

We want to use the 390 the galaxie 500 XL came with so we are not going to use this 352. I seriously doubt anyone would want any interest in a 352 that was being built for high performance. I would hate for it to become an expensive tacky coffee table.

Engine_1.jpg

Here's the 352. It was lined honed, bored 30 over, decked, oil ports threaded, brass core plugs and new cam bearings installed.

Engine_2.jpg

Engine_3.jpg

Engine_4.jpg

Engine_5.jpg

The pistons were custom made to yield a 10.5: static compression with stock style heads. They are forged, moly coated skirts with gapless moly coated 1.5/1.5/3.0 mm ring packs.

Engine_6.jpg

The 352 crank was cut, polished and balanced against those pistons and Eagle 390 connecting rods.

Engine_7.jpg

All new crank and rod bearings too.

Like I said seems like such a waste to end up a coffee table
:oops:

But I started buying the basics for the 390 build.

Engine_8.jpg

I procured another set of Edelbrock CJ style heads. This time I will go through them thoroughly first. Also procured are head studs, rocker assembly studs and new connecting Eagle connecting rods.

Engine_9.jpg

Also is a new set of FPA headers.

The plan for this 390 build is the following:

1. Check over the Edelbrock heads first.
2. Check the combustion volume of the heads
3. Buy and check the volume of the head gaskets
4. Take the 390 block to the machinist and have it checked to see if it's good to use
5. Have the preliminary machining done and measurements taken.
6. With this block data along with head and gasket data then have another set of custom pistons made.
7. When those are delivered I can take them to the machinist and he can finish the honing for the rings and final bore size. Then he can cut, polish and balance the pistons against the new pistons and rods.
8. Once the block and crank are done I can buy the parts for the roller valve train.
9. Then hopefully assemble the engine.

More to come.

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
DesertXL,

Sorry about your quandary with the partially built 352. Pardon a naive question: I was wondering if you could use the block, pistons and rings, and maybe the rods, with a stroker crank and come up with a 421 or 434 for another project?

You mentioned the Eagle 390 rods, so the piston pin height is adjusted to use the shorter 390 rods vs. the longer 352 ones? This is kind of out of my league so there's likely some pitfalls I'm overlooking. But since no one else had asked, I thought I would. :)

Pat

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
DesertXL,

Sorry about your quandary with the partially built 352. Pardon a naive question: I was wondering if you could use the block, pistons and rings, and maybe the rods, with a stroker crank and come up with a 421 or 434 for another project?

You mentioned the Eagle 390 rods, so the piston pin height is adjusted to use the shorter 390 rods vs. the longer 352 ones? This is kind of out of my league so there's likely some pitfalls I'm overlooking. But since no one else had asked, I thought I would. :)

Pat
Hello 1964Fastback,

To answer your question about the piston height, yuppers it's altered to work with the 390 rods. As for the engine used for another project, sure it could, but after I'm done with the '66 LTD, the '66 galaxie 500 XL and the '68 XL I'm done with Ford projects.

The '68 XL also came with a 390, just a cheesy Y code, but I intend on using that block and crank for that car as the serial number still matches the body serial (mandated engine VIN serial stamping started in '68). The goal is to have 3 old Fords with the same size engine (390), C6 transmissions and large bearing (heavy duty) Ford 9 inch axles. That way the parts are more or less the same and I don't have to carry different spares. I have still have one '68 LTD I bought for the solid South West frame it has for my '68 XL, but the '68 LTD still has its Z code 390, C6 and large bearing rear axle. So I will keep those as spares for the other three.

I have already taken all the FX transmissions to the dump and given away 2 light duty (small bearing) Ford 9" axles with one left still to get rid off.

The original build of this 352 was to yield around 440 horse (gross @ sea level) to prove that the little 352 was more than commonly known for a boat anchor. I also have C6AE-R heads that are ported, polished, blended, hardened valve seats installed and sporting Ferrea stainless undercut valves for the 352. I have to dig those out of storage as well. Time to get rid of this stuff I am not going to use. I was like John Hammond in Jurassic Park, "I spared no expense" :geek:

Maybe I can put these items on the for sale portion and see if they can help fund the 390 build.

Cheers

101 - 106 of 106 Posts