Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ever done an auto to stick conversion?

I'm researching it and want to be fact checked on what I think I know.

1. No stick shift cars seem to have bench seats. Is this true?
2. All stick shift cars had a center console. Is this true?
3. Seems stick shift cars have their own special pedal group, as in you can't just add a pedal. Is this true?
4. What I've been able to learn is that there are different crossmembers associated with a toploader. Is this true?

Are there any guys out there that converted stick and made their own custom shift boots without center consoles? I found a few on eBay and f*ck me if I'm going to pay those prices! I'd sooner get some leather and stitch my own together. But I do want to see what some of you guys have done.

For the curious: Going from a 289/auto to a 408 Cleveland and "long" highway spec toploader. Plan to go for the highway cruiser/bruiser type. The Cleveland was in my Father's drag car and is full 4340, around 600 horse N/A and built for a 300 shot. Plan to get the compression down some to be able to run 93 pump, or maybe even e85. Definitely topping it with aftermarket EFI.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good project, but it'll probably be tough to find some parts. But first, answers to some of your questions:

1. Stick shift cars did have bench seats. This is a tribute, but a very authentic one. It'll give you an idea of what a bench seat 4-speed car looks like.

2. Only 1966 XL and 7-Litres have center consoles. The rest including LTD, Galaxie 500, Custom 500 and Customs did not.

3. Yes, but check the Master Parts Catalog to see what years the pedal assembly applies. The `66 Galaxies are part of the 1965-68 family, so likely the pedal assemblies are the same.

4. The crossmembers are the same. You just flip them around depending on whether it's a C6 or Toploader.

The floor-mount boots are round rather than the rectangular ones that were used with center console. Again, refer to the MPC to see the details. Generally you want to know the diameter and type of "hole" where the shift stick comes through the boot. Some sticks are rectangular and others are round, as are the holes in the boots. Otherwise, as you said, you can just make your own ... or you can do searches on Google Images to see what you like and what might work.

Assume the "long spec" Toploader you're referring to is a wide-ratio. Among the challenges you'll have may or may-not include finding the right clutch fork, spring and adjuster-rod assembly. Z-bars can be found from time to time and bushings/kit should be available. The floor pedal assemblies come up on Ebay every now and then, typically running anywhere from a few hundred $ on up. Unfortunately everything on Ebay seems to be getting a lot more expensive today compared to 5-years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I have a 67, bench seat with factory installed 4 speed, odd thing is you cannot have the seat all they way forward and get it into 2nd or fourth gear since the shifter knob contacts the front edge of the seat. Beside a shifter boot and there are 2 of them an upper and lower there is a floor pan stamping that gives the shifter room. Lot's of small parts in the clutch linkage. Best bet would be to find a 289 3sp for that if your going with 351C for the linkage parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good project, but it'll probably be tough to find some parts. But first, answers to some of your questions:

1. Stick shift cars did have bench seats. This is a tribute, but a very authentic one. It'll give you an idea of what a bench seat 4-speed car looks like.

2. Only 1966 XL and 7-Litres have center consoles. The rest including LTD, Galaxie 500, Custom 500 and Customs did not.

3. Yes, but check the Master Parts Catalog to see what years the pedal assembly applies. The `66 Galaxies are part of the 1965-68 family, so likely the pedal assemblies are the same.

4. The crossmembers are the same. You just flip them around depending on whether it's a C6 or Toploader.

The floor-mount boots are round rather than the rectangular ones that were used with center console. Again, refer to the MPC to see the details. Generally you want to know the diameter and type of "hole" where the shift stick comes through the boot. Some sticks are rectangular and others are round, as are the holes in the boots. Otherwise, as you said, you can just make your own ... or you can do searches on Google Images to see what you like and what might work.

Assume the "long spec" Toploader you're referring to is a wide-ratio. Among the challenges you'll have may or may-not include finding the right clutch fork, spring and adjuster-rod assembly. Z-bars can be found from time to time and bushings/kit should be available. The floor pedal assemblies come up on Ebay every now and then, typically running anywhere from a few hundred $ on up. Unfortunately everything on Ebay seems to be getting a lot more expensive today compared to 5-years ago.
Hey thanks for your reply! Alot of good information.

Have you ever seen people use aftermarket pedal assemblies? I'm finding alot of them, not sure if there's one that's used over others for these cars. Also, I plan to go through David Kee for my toploader, would you assume he'd be able to hook me up with the proper fork/spring/adjust rod?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

+1

Spot on.

Too bad this didn't come up earlier. I cleaned out a bunch of spare parts I wasn't using or going to use and I took a complete pedal assembly and clutch parts to the dump a few months back out of a '66 galaxie 500 parts car that was factory manual. I would have happily given them away to a good home if someone needed them at the time.

Good luck on procuring what you need.

·
Registered
463 Posts
A friend of mine converted his '67 automatic on the column to a four speed floor shift with bench seat. It took him a long time to find all of the parts he needed for the conversion.

His experience regarding finding the transmission tunnel hump was not good. He ordered the aftermarket fiberglas for a floor shift without console and it wasn't even close to be correct. He tried several different vendors and kept getting the same one. He ended up having to have one fabricated. So just FYI on that one particular item.

IMG_3474.jpeg
IMG_3969.jpeg
IMG_3971.jpeg
IMG_4040.jpeg
61204583740__D92C9EDF-6980-4C43-ADCB-FF4A4316F2D1.jpeg

Reactions: 66SevenLitre

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine converted his '67 automatic on the column to a four speed floor shift with bench seat. It took him a long time to find all of the parts he needed for the conversion.

His experience regarding finding the transmission tunnel hump was not good. He ordered the aftermarket fiberglas for a floor shift without console and it wasn't even close to be correct. He tried several different vendors and kept getting the same one. He ended up having to have one fabricated. So just FYI on that one particular item.

View attachment 167090 View attachment 167091 View attachment 167092 View attachment 167093 View attachment 167094
Why is that trans tunnel piece needed? Couldn't I just make a shifter boot that would cover all that up? Or is there something I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Without the tunnel hump the shifter body will up inside the car aways. They make big boots but I always thought they look kind of lame. JMO

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Have you ever seen people use aftermarket pedal assemblies? I'm finding alot of them, not sure if there's one that's used over others for these cars. Also, I plan to go through David Kee for my toploader, would you assume he'd be able to hook me up with the proper fork/spring/adjust rod?"

David Kee can get you anything / everything for a Toploader of your choice, including the shifter and linkage. But typically not much beyond that. Usually stuff like the clutch fork, adjuster rod assembly, return spring, Z-bar, etc are outside his domain. But you can always ask anyways, maybe he has a line on something.

I have never seen or heard of anyone using aftermarket pedal assemblies in 1965-68 Galaxies. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though, and honestly I've never done a deep search on it. If you don't find anything and end up taking it on, please take pictures and share with the community. You may end up trailblazing a new path for everyone. I don't anticipate it will be easy though and likely will involve a lot of engineering and measurements for proper geometry.

The times I've done stuff like this I always start by identifying all the original parts in the Master Parts Catalog (MPC) Assembly Diagram. If you don't have the MPC, you can download the 1965-72 version from MRE Books for around 18 bucks. Most of the times I also acquire the original parts one way or the other. That way I can use them for a mock-ups and to model the new stuff I intend to do. In your case that defeats the purpose. If you can find an original pedal assembly, then you won't be using an aftermarket one.

If it were me, I'd just take my time and find the Galaxie pedal assembly and tunnel hump. If you're not using the big input Toploader, then you should be able to find the clutch fork. The sleeve on the adjuster rod assembly might be hard to find but you can fabricate one. The rod and nut won't be a big deal. As for the return spring, I believe the one from 1953-56 Ford F100-F250s will work. The Galaxies had front loaded types with 24 coils that were 13.5" long. Truck springs are also front-loaded with 30 coils, measuring just a hair under 13.5".

As mentioned, I believe the Z-bar bushing kit is reproduced, but to confirm you want to look up the part numbers in the MPC. Same for the clutch rod boot at the firewall as well as the shifter boot. One of the challenges when it comes to 1965-68 Galaxies is finding the parts. Just about everything is reproduced for Mustangs, not so for these cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a thought, if you're not committed to making a "stock" setup, why not a hydraulic? I used a Wilwood when putting a big block in my 69 Fairlane. It was originally a 289/C4 and the Wilwood kit worked well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Have you ever seen people use aftermarket pedal assemblies? I'm finding alot of them, not sure if there's one that's used over others for these cars. Also, I plan to go through David Kee for my toploader, would you assume he'd be able to hook me up with the proper fork/spring/adjust rod?"

David Kee can get you anything / everything for a Toploader of your choice, including the shifter and linkage. But typically not much beyond that. Usually stuff like the clutch fork, adjuster rod assembly, return spring, Z-bar, etc are outside his domain. But you can always ask anyways, maybe he has a line on something.

I have never seen or heard of anyone using aftermarket pedal assemblies in 1965-68 Galaxies. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though, and honestly I've never done a deep search on it. If you don't find anything and end up taking it on, please take pictures and share with the community. You may end up trailblazing a new path for everyone. I don't anticipate it will be easy though and likely will involve a lot of engineering and measurements for proper geometry.

The times I've done stuff like this I always start by identifying all the original parts in the Master Parts Catalog (MPC) Assembly Diagram. If you don't have the MPC, you can download the 1965-72 version from MRE Books for around 18 bucks. Most of the times I also acquire the original parts one way or the other. That way I can use them for a mock-ups and to model the new stuff I intend to do. In your case that defeats the purpose. If you can find an original pedal assembly, then you won't be using an aftermarket one.

If it were me, I'd just take my time and find the Galaxie pedal assembly and tunnel hump. If you're not using the big input Toploader, then you should be able to find the clutch fork. The sleeve on the adjuster rod assembly might be hard to find but you can fabricate one. The rod and nut won't be a big deal. As for the return spring, I believe the one from 1953-56 Ford F100-F250s will work. The Galaxies had front loaded types with 24 coils that were 13.5" long. Truck springs are also front-loaded with 30 coils, measuring just a hair under 13.5".

As mentioned, I believe the Z-bar bushing kit is reproduced, but to confirm you want to look up the part numbers in the MPC. Same for the clutch rod boot at the firewall as well as the shifter boot. One of the challenges when it comes to 1965-68 Galaxies is finding the parts. Just about everything is reproduced for Mustangs, not so for these cars.
Thank you for the information. It seems David Kee is going to be able to supply pretty much everything between the back of the block and the pedal, minus the clutch cable. I still need to speak with them but it is looking pretty good from them.

The pedals are going to be interesting I think. I found a set last night and they were over $1,000, that's ridiculous but not surprising. Anyone with a 4 speed car that isn't wrapped around a tree is going to want to keep those pedals. So, I'm starting to research stuff in preparation for using aftermarket. Do you have any suggestions for companies that you'd go to for custom length throttle and clutch cables?

I also think I am going with the big input for the trans. The 408 I'm getting is 850-900 hp capable with it's current setup with nitrous. Though since I am going EFI, I am not sure if I'll ever spray it but the engine itself makes in the neighborhood of 600. Unless you think the standard input shaft can take that?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would go big-input, but confirm with David Kee. He'll let you know all your options.

The pedal assemblies come up every now and then on eBay, you just have to keep looking. I sold a set two years ago for $300. There was a fully restored one a year later for $500. They do come up, it just might take a while.

1965-68 Galaxies didn't use clutch cables, so can't I help you there. For the custom stuff you'll just have to keep researching and finding people, shops, companies, etc who have answers.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I can understand your friend having the hump fabricated probably wasn't cheap. Either way, nicely done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would go big-input, but confirm with David Kee. He'll let you know all your options.

The pedal assemblies come up every now and then on eBay, you just have to keep looking. I sold a set two years ago for $300. There was a fully restored one a year later for $500. They do come up, it just might take a while.

1965-68 Galaxies didn't use clutch cables, so can't I help you there. For the custom stuff you'll just have to keep researching and finding people, shops, companies, etc who have answers.
They didn't use cables? Are you saying they were hydraulic?!

·
Registered
232 Posts
"I am so confused...so what actually connects to your clutch pedal?"

You need to get a copy of the Ford Master Parts catalog which has assembly diagrams showing stuff like this. The MPC is the Bible for these cars and a must-have for any restoration or project work.

Anyways, to answer your question, the clutch pedal pushes a rod that goes through the firewall and engages a "Z-bar". The Z-bar has an arm that swivels back/forth which controls the clutch fork. So as Galaxiex said, all activity is mechanical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so...WOW haha as a cable/hydraulics guy, I am daunted for sure on this, but in a good way. Between the diagram and your explanation 66SevenLitre, I think I get it. I will get a copy of the MPC. Can you order parts right from the MPC? Is it like a RockAuto situation where it's a bunch of suppliers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts