Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
MPC = Master Parts Catalog which has all the assembly diagrams and part numbers for everything in your car. You won't "order" anything from it, rather instead you'll use it as a reference book to identify correct parts used on your particular year/model Ford. One of the cheapest options is to download the 1965-72 version from MRE Books for $19.

Head's up it'll take a while to learn Ford's nomenclature and system. Give yourself time to get up to speed. Start with you data plate & door tag in order to familiarize yourself with the ID of your model and what features the factory built in. Then read the first chapter or so which explains the organization of the book, terminology, abbreviations and so forth.

But first, keep in mind the parts you're going to need for your conversion will include stuff that's fairly rare, usually overpriced and will take time (months) for you to identify & acquire.

It may be worth doing some extensive internet searches to see what shops are out there that have specialized in these conversions. Also go through Youtube to see what other people have done & how they did it. Given you're building a custom, you don't need to stay with original parts. There may be better options out there ... including a Tremec rather than Toploader.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As 66SevenLite stated, the downloadable version is definitely the cheapest option and I believe it may be searchable as well. I have the old paper version of both the illustration and part number catalog. These come up for sale occasionally but expect to pay a hefty sum for one. I think I saw one listed on ebay recently somewhere in the ballpark of $600.00.

The link below is from the Fordification website and may help you get started in familiarizing yourself with how the Ford system works.

Decipher FoMoCo part numbers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
MPC = Master Parts Catalog which has all the assembly diagrams and part numbers for everything in your car. You won't "order" anything from it, rather instead you'll use it as a reference book to identify correct parts used on your particular year/model Ford. One of the cheapest options is to download the 1965-72 version from MRE Books for $19.

Head's up it'll take a while to learn Ford's nomenclature and system. Give yourself time to get up to speed. Start with you data plate & door tag in order to familiarize yourself with the ID of your model and what features the factory built in. Then read the first chapter or so which explains the organization of the book, terminology, abbreviations and so forth.

But first, keep in mind the parts you're going to need for your conversion will include stuff that's fairly rare, usually overpriced and will take time (months) for you to identify & acquire.

It may be worth doing some extensive internet searches to see what shops are out there that have specialized in these conversions. Also go through Youtube to see what other people have done & how they did it. Given you're building a custom, you don't need to stay with original parts. There may be better options out there ... including a Tremec rather than Toploader.
I'm going to talk to a few shops and make another thread about possibly converting to cable. I don't feel like trying to find all that junk, and honestly don't care about keeping it factory like that lol. Do you know of anyone who has done that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
As 66SevenLite stated, the downloadable version is definitely the cheapest option and I believe it may be searchable as well. I have the old paper version of both the illustration and part number catalog. These come up for sale occasionally but expect to pay a hefty sum for one. I think I saw one listed on ebay recently somewhere in the ballpark of $600.00.

The link below is from the Fordification website and may help you get started in familiarizing yourself with how the Ford system works.

Decipher FoMoCo part numbers
Thanks for the resource man!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm going to talk to a few shops and make another thread about possibly converting to cable.

Sounds like the right way to go. Those parts you'll need are pretty rare and likely very expensive. You may also find a better way to go on the pedal assembly. If so, please take pictures, keep track of what you do & share with the community. That way, people can learn from what you did ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm going to talk to a few shops and make another thread about possibly converting to cable.

Sounds like the right way to go. Those parts you'll need are pretty rare and likely very expensive. You may also find a better way to go on the pedal assembly. If so, please take pictures, keep track of what you do & share with the community. That way, people can learn from what you did ...
Man I am DEFINITELY doing that. Just checking the forums, I've found ~5 others looking to do this swap but held down by parts. BUT I just did find this hydraulic kit from American Powertrain! Definitely making me feel more confident!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts