Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One on my brake pads fell out of my 1966 mustang disc brakes on the passenger side and pretty much destroyed my rotor and caliper, i got the caliper off no problem, but cant figure ot how to properly remove the rotor, can anyone help me?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
One on my brake pads fell out of my 1966 mustang disc brakes on the passenger side and pretty much destroyed my rotor and caliper, i got the caliper off no problem, but cant figure ot how to properly remove the rotor, can anyone help me?
Put some cardboard, plywood or plastic sheeting on the ground under the area of the rotor. Remove the little cap in the middle-lightly pry it or pull it with a large pair of pliers. Clean out excess grease off the end of the spindle with a clean rag. Straighten and remove the cotter key. Turn the big nut CCW (it shouldn't be too tight.)

Carefully pull the rotor assembly toward you, being careful to not allow the big washer and outer bearing to fall out on the ground and get dirty. Alternately you may want to use a small screwdriver to pull the washer and bearing prior to completely removing the rotor. The seal on the backside will keep the rear bearing in place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts