Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of questions about power windows but I couldn't find an answer. I saw a post about taking apart the switch and cleaning but the link didn't work. Does anyone know how to take each of the 4 switches out of the main console and take them apart to clean or repair? I'm including a picture of the under side of the main console. It looks like each switch can come out but they seem to be held in with some metal tabs. I tried prying them out but I didn't want to break them. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those little clips to pry out, you may have to work at it and even use a drop of penetrating oil. It would probably help to find a picture of what they look like so you can understand how they press in between the switch and housing. If you Google 1965-66 Ford Thunderbird power window switch parts you should be able to find it. They use the same exact clips on Thunderbirds.

Once you remove the clips, you should be able to work the switch out. Just be sure to remove the wires and bus bar first. Be careful of the small rubber boot as it can easily break apart. If so, you can fashion a new one using black latex, Sanchez from a thin latex glove. Let us know once you get that far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I finally got a few of the switches out and taken apart. The metal part that sticks up into the toggle part has rusted and broken off. So when you move the toggle switch, nothing moves the contacts. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do about that. I was thinking about drilling out the rivots and trying to remake/replace all of the contacts. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Eric - the switch housing (plastic casing) for the power window switches in '65-66 Galaxie consoles is the same size as the PW switches in '64-66 Thunderbirds. While I haven't compare them side-by-side, I would guess that the spring and toggle inside the switch is also the same.

If so, they should be interchangeable. If you keep an eye on eBay, periodically you'll see a '64-66 Thunderbird master switch housings listed with the switches still installed on the cheap. If you pick one of those up, you can experiment with the extra parts

By the way, the main difference between Galaxie and Thunderbird switches is that Galaxies have 4 terminals, one each for power, ground and up / down operation, whereas Thunderbirds have three terminals, power and up / down operation.

I actually converted to the Thunderbird switches because they are less complex and more reliable. To do that, I created individual circuits with dedicated blade fuses and added relays for each window. I also have the 20 amp breaker on the solenoid and the safety convenience relay on the firewall, so overall it's a pretty well-protected system.

More importantly, rather than having high current running through the switches, the power runs to the relays instead. Meanwhile, the switches are merely there to operate the up / down action of the windows. Let me know if you want more information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts