Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Noob to the forum.

Had a 62 a long time ago (V8, C4, camper shell, Comet front end, wagon rear end, yada yada), and am looking at buying a 66. Spoke to the owner this am, and while the car looks great, turns out the PO had it lowered. A bit.

The current owner does not know how it was done. I'm guessing maybe cutting a leaf out of the back, and maybe cutting a coil from the front? I dunno...

The only reason I would like to know b4 I buy, is how much work it would be to put back. The car is in another sate, so I have yet to see it in person. Would like to have an idea of $ to repair to make an offer.

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depends on how it was lowered. Lowering blocks in the rear would be easy to remove. If the springs were altered or torched, new replacements are $400-500. Used might run $50-100, but are hard to find, since Rancheros don't share rear springs with other Fords. Your front end may have been lowered by installing shorter springs (usually stiffer ones), cutting the coils (bad), heating the coils (very bad!) or by doing something called the "Shelby Drop" where the upper control arms have been relocated (a very desirable and easily reversed modification). If the front springs are junk, they are fairly inexpensive new, maybe $100 for the pair. Any used rear springs are likely to need new bushings. Any time the front springs are out a carefully inspection of the spring perch saddles and upper rubber insulators is warranted. The bushings are frequently rotted away causing squeaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts