Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Galaxie XL. It has the entire matching number drivetrain. I know the original date of purchse was Nov. 12th, 1967 in El Paso Texas. The Intake casting reads C7AE-9425_E. can anyone help please? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
5th character of VIN please. This will give original install. It may have been changed @ some point.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The part no you gave doesnt help really dont think the gt's had a 'dedicated' intake. The head no's /how many bolts are in the exhaust manifolds holds the key of being gt or no gt.

SHIELDS UP!!!

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
The part no you gave doesnt help really dont think the gt's had a 'dedicated' intake. The head no's /how many bolts are in the exhaust manifolds holds the key of being gt or no gt.

X2 :) GT heads are GT heads and NOT regular FE heads, from your sig I see a Z code Galaxie, is this what you're working with? Do you have GT badges? Do you have the build sheet or remnants of it?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
X2 :) GT heads are GT heads and NOT regular FE heads, from your sig I see a Z code Galaxie, is this what you're working with? Do you have GT badges? Do you have the build sheet or remnants of it?
Partially true, a 12 bolt GT head had 12 exhaust bolts in a unique pattern. Common casting numbers were, C6AE-R (1966) C7AE-A (1967), and C8AE-H (68+)

Non GT heads were 8 bolt vertical pattern, like a truck and were........da dah DAH.....C6AE-R (1966) C7AE-A (1967), and C8AE-H (68+)

Non GT heads can be drilled to be GT heads and vice versa although you'll end up with some unused threaded holes

There is ABSOLUTELY NO difference in power capability or port design from the heads from any GT, non-GT, or truck heads of the same year and casting number, regardless of bolt holes.

They are the same head unless you are doing something concours and can't/won't redrill for what you need

The GT intake should have a big S casting on it, again nothing special identical to the "T" truck 4 barrel, but it's there.

Some GTs had the CJ cam, but as the motor evolved into the 390IP (Improved Performance) in 1969, even the cam got milder and it really was just a 4 barrel 390, nothing special

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Hey Dusty,
How come you are all of a sudden talking GT or no GT? The OP didn't mention anything about GT, other than he has a sig that says he has a Mustang GT. But he was asking about his Z-Code Galaxie.

JC

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Hey Dusty,
How come you are all of a sudden talking GT or no GT? The OP didn't mention anything about GT, other than he has a sig that says he has a Mustang GT. But he was asking about his Z-Code Galaxie.

JC
The title of his thread is "1967 390 ID- GT or non-GT"

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5th character of VIN please. This will give original install. It may have been changed @ some point.
The 5th character is "Z" for the original 390 it has. just not sure of actual "Type" I guess.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Partially true, a 12 bolt GT head had 12 exhaust bolts in a unique pattern. Common casting numbers were, C6AE-R (1966) C7AE-A (1967), and C8AE-H (68+)

Non GT heads were 8 bolt vertical pattern, like a truck and were........da dah DAH.....C6AE-R (1966) C7AE-A (1967), and C8AE-H (68+)

Non GT heads can be drilled to be GT heads and vice versa although you'll end up with some unused threaded holes

There is ABSOLUTELY NO difference in power capability or port design from the heads from any GT, non-GT, or truck heads of the same year and casting number, regardless of bolt holes.

They are the same head unless you are doing something concours and can't/won't redrill for what you need

The GT intake should have a big S casting on it, again nothing special identical to the "T" truck 4 barrel, but it's there.

Some GTs had the CJ cam, but as the motor evolved into the 390IP (Improved Performance) in 1969, even the cam got milder and it really was just a 4 barrel 390, nothing special
Casting numbers on the heads are "C8AE-H" and the intake is a 4V "C7AE-9425-E" "S" intaks

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I don't believe the S-CODE 390 was offered in the full size. You ordered a 428 or a 427 for fun. The S-CODE was FAIRLANE/COMET - MUSTANG/COUGAR dedicated.

If you would just give us the 5th VIN character, it would be solved really quick.

As for the cylinder head machining for exhaust manifold mounting points, they were added to the same heads to make it easier to R & R the manifolds in the intermediate/pony cars. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I don't believe the S-CODE 390 was offered in the full size. You ordered a 428 or a 427 for fun. The S-CODE was FAIRLANE/COMET - MUSTANG/COUGAR dedicated.

If you would just give us the 5th VIN character, it would be solved really quick.

As for the cylinder head machining for exhaust manifold mounting points, they were added to the same heads to make it easier to R & R the manifolds in the intermediate/pony cars. No big deal.

Special captioning for the hard of hearing.

THE FIFTH CHARACTER OF THE VIN IS THE LETTER ZEEEEEEEE

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Here is the info... 1967 Ford Galaxie

Engine availability 1967 390 was H, Y and Z. The H and Y were 2V and the Z was a 315HP 4V version. No GT engine available.

With just the cyl head I.D., the engine has been through.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
The title of his thread is "1967 390 ID- GT or non-GT"
Hey Dusty, and Ross,
OOPS! My bad. Didn't notice that. Sorry about THAT.

JC

·
Registered
7,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the info... 1967 Ford Galaxie

Engine availability 1967 390 was H, Y and Z. The H and Y were 2V and the Z was a 315HP 4V version. No GT engine available.

With just the cyl head I.D., the engine has been through.
Ok, you say it's been through".
Are you saying these FOR SURE are not the original heads? Or is it possible that due to a mid to late '67 build that they put the '68 heads on as an off the shelf part as I've been told aside from the exhaust applications there is no difference in the heads. Was this the "Hi-Po" 390 that was available for the Galaxie? I bought the car off the second owner 13 years ago and was assured then that everything was original. (Part-wise) I was told it was "freshened up" Btw-the second owner bought the car in '73. Sorry for such a long post.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I have never seen a 67 with 68 heads, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened

There would be no siginficant difference in performance between a C7AE-A or C8AE-H

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, KULTULZ has decoded my VIN and data plate on another thread I started. It seems...(really weird) but my date code as he posted reads

Date - 12U=July 17, 1968. But this is a 1967 VIN coded car.

First digit on VIN is 7 and it is coded as the XL "Z" car it is. Is this a fluke? really weird and confused now. I know MY car...had a 64 Galaxie too... I know Fords to a point. This is where I defer to some people that have WAY more knowledge in this than I do. Thanks for helping!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts