Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm losing my mind.

I am aware of the problems that can result due to incorrectly installing the torque converter on the shafts and then cranking up the engine to the trans when installing....

My questions is...as a result of the engine now not turning over by hand with the trans bolted up....

....how can you tell if in fact you HAVE damaged the transmission pump or torque converter as a result of a possible incorrect alignment of the TC/Splines/Engine?

I have not turned the engine over or forced anything....the trans and engine bolted together easily and tightly without problem. But, I cannot turn the crank by hand as I could before...it's rock hard. All 4 TC studs are ready to be nutted to the flexplate (but obviously I haven't done that since I am still in failure mode)

Could it be that I possibly have the trans in some gear and I'm trying to turn the crank by hand and essentially trying to roll the car forward by doing so? Is it an alignment problem with the TC? If so, how do I tell if I did damage anything?

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
... Could it be that I possibly have the trans in some gear and I'm trying to turn the crank by hand and essentially trying to roll the car forward by doing so? Is it an alignment problem with the TC? If so, how do I tell if I did damage anything?
The coupling from crankshaft to trans gears is strictly fluid, and so you can't have an in-gear issue with your C4 from that perspective. Also, did you change the bellhousing, the flexplate, or torque converter?

In normal installation, at this point the converter should have slight play fore and aft (1/8 to 3/16), and the studs should freely move within hole clearance in the flexplate holes. In other words, the TC should be free to move slightly in any direction until bolted to the flexplate. If that is true in your situation, the binding is not the converter or trans.

If your TC is bound, you cannot tell the extent of damage until the trans is removed and inspected. Note on installation, it's not how easy it is to bolt-up, but that the bell should fully contact the block in it's final position before a single bellhousing bolt it inserted or tightened. Improper installation uses the bolts to pull the bell flush to the block.

Most commonly, the pump gear may be bent, cracked or broken. Occasionally, the torque converter hub is pushed inwards slightly. While it may appear good, the TC hub-to-pump engagement may then be limited and prone to possible future failure. Check it closely. Good luck on your inspection if it's bound, and let us know what you find.

David

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Yes not much more to say , with the converter nuts off the converter should wriggle in the flexplate holes , if not it is mis aligned . Only way to tell if anything is damaged is to go in for a look

I've done prob in the hundreds and i still continually check the converter is free in the flex plate holes while installing, that's after measuring before i even install the trans to ensure there will be clearance . A pair of 7/16 UNC guide studs are handy for the install, bellhousing needs to be hard up to the block face before any bolts are even started .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. So I dropped the trans out of the car to inspect and yes, I caused damage.
It appears the problem was in the 'last' of the 3 spots that need to be aligned. I've dented the outer machined part of the torque converter by forcing it in to the pump area.
I know that is the problem because the 2 dents are corresponding to the 2 factory flat spots on the TC that go in to the pump, but 90 degrees off from where they should have been!
Luckily I did a search on our local on-line classifieds and found a guy with a basement full of C4 parts. He has a pump and will install it for me this weekend if I bring it to his house - and he's a certified transmission mechanic! He is also going to teach me a 'trick' to installing so this won't happen again. When he does, I will share it here.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Remove the convertor drain plug and install short(2") 5/16 fine bolt with the head cut off.

The bolt will stick through the flex plate and you can wiggle the convertor.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hey its Steve that sold you the pump parts. How did it all work out?

Update. So I dropped the trans out of the car to inspect and yes, I caused damage.
It appears the problem was in the 'last' of the 3 spots that need to be aligned. I've dented the outer machined part of the torque converter by forcing it in to the pump area.
I know that is the problem because the 2 dents are corresponding to the 2 factory flat spots on the TC that go in to the pump, but 90 degrees off from where they should have been!
Luckily I did a search on our local on-line classifieds and found a guy with a basement full of C4 parts. He has a pump and will install it for me this weekend if I bring it to his house - and he's a certified transmission mechanic! He is also going to teach me a 'trick' to installing so this won't happen again. When he does, I will share it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts