Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 67 coupe. It has a stock 6cyl. I thought about keeping it stock and rebuilding, but I want more power than 200 HP. So... I decided to rebuild a 289, but when I bought a supposed 289 out of a 65, it has a D4DE (74) 302 block 4" bore, 3" stroke, stock 302 D50E heads (75), and the cam appears to be stock, too. So.. I've decided to rebuild it and put it in the 67 anyway. I want performance, but I don't want to go crazy. Do you have any suggestions for the budget minded? I've read that the HP in 302s after 73 dropped to 123 because of national emissions standards. How can I get it up to 300HP?

Any help would be appreciated,
Watson

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it were me, for what you'd spend upgrading that motor to make 300hp (intake, heads, cam, pistons, exhaust, carb) you may come out much further ahead by selling that one and finding a good used 5.0 or 302 that is already built on Craigslist or in the local ads since there are a ton of them out there.

Any high performance 289,302/5.0, or 351 will fit and you are going to have to spend well north of a grand or two to get that one to make over 300hp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts