Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys...I could use a little help.
My stepdad just spoke with me last night, he got a call from a buddy.
Info I have right now is, 1967 fairlane, 428 and a 4 speed.
Running, driving car.
It is in some storage place with a bunch of leans against it evidently; I don't like taking advantage of people misfortunes, but my stepdad want to go get this thing on Sunday to keep it from being cut up...he asked me my thoughts, and I said we need to save this car.
As long as it is not a completely junk body, he says it's decent car, and runs like a raped ape, what he was told he can buy it for...I am beside myself.
I need to know what areas I need to be concerned with on these cars, I am fuzzy on pre-72 unibody stuff.
If you have any comments, drop me an email or PM me.
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had lottsa problems with the front suspension on my 67 GT. Brakes went forever, but sure was in the shop for front end alignments too often, ball joints, etc.

Wm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Andy, I'm looking for a restorable 67. Contact me if you wan to resale it. thanks, Stewart

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
428 4spd is not real common, get and and you can always get more then your money's worth out of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Crawl underneath and look at the front where the body and the sub frame meet.Check for rust there.And at the rear on each side of the gas tank,they rust there too.Floors are probably rusty,most are,but there are repair patches made for them.Some rust like the Mustangs at the bottom of the firewall where crap stops up the air vent at the windshield and causes the bottom to rust out.If it is a factory 4 speed,that would be a top loader and they are very desirable.Factory big blocks had a 9" rear and that too is worth some bucks.428 is a transplant,they didn't come in them until 68.If reasonable, get it.You won't lose money.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, update, it's a '68 xl, not a '67; factory 4 speed 428 car, power disc brakes and steering, mint interior, bucket/console car, body is in primer but rust free, underside is beyond clean. we are taking NO rust after two hours of looking it over by my stepdad and a buddy of his, I didn't make it because of work.
I hope to get some picture, he's going to call me on the VIN later for decoding. Says it feels like deep gearing in the ass, maybe 4.10's, but not 100%.
Driver's door took a light hit by something, but is fixable with a little time and effort. Atleast this has some steel to work with.
Will try to get pictures asap.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You'll want to take a real good look at the circumstances surrounding debts. Look at the title to see what liens are listed, because you will be on the hook for them. Wherever it is stored, find out from them if they are claiming a lien. Last, but not least, run VIN through the State Troopers Office to see if stolen. If it sounds too good to be true....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
AWESOME FIND!

Where are ya in NE? I just moved out here just after you joined FM.

FE

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I am about 3-5 miles northwest of SAC AFB, in Bellevue. I was in Omaha, but the cops kept being hardcases to me about my stuff.
Sarpy county has been better, even considering where I am at now, I see county mounties and cops all the time.
I want to trailer her back home, but not sure yet where it's going to be stored.
Coupe, thanks for the advice...My stepdad has already looked into the circumstances with the car. Clean, not stolen, just hard times.
We just don't want it to get cut up.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
RIght on! I lived in Bellevue in the off base housing for 3 years...
Worked down at Auto Body Authority (Towing /Restoration/Impound)
Doing the restorations and mechanical work.
I have to go back for 30 day's to do a couple jobs for the old boss (68 GTX 440 for one..
) and some other work, if I make it down I'll get in touch!

FE (Falconaround)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts