Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 67 fairlane id like to tell you all about, my son and I traded for a fairlane custom 500 std everything, and so far I have installed a 8.8 mustang cobra rearend with a 4:11 positraction rear, now this rear is 1.5 inched narrower than the 7" that came out, we moved all the coil spring brackets and stuff to the 8.8 disk rear and bolted it in, now I I been reading allot on the right wheel and tire combo, and there is allot of people trying to figure out what to do here, well I would like to share a bit of knowledge there, if you have some basic tools and coat hangers you can figure you wheel and tire fairly easy, 15" wheel cut a hanger get a long straight piece attach it to the wheel lug at 12 0 clock, measure from center of axle up to 7.5 bend the hanger at that point in tward the axle, cut the end off to the backspace you need Ie 3.75 or 3 3/4, now here you know diameter of wheel and back space as mounted, take another straight piece of hanger, tape it to the mounted piece at 12 o clock, now if your tire is 26" tall divide that in half 13" from the center of the axle measure up to 13" tape the piece of hanger there, now you know diameter height backspace, now the important one .. section width side wall to side wall, most reputable tire places will have this info, in my case a 275/60/15 is 10.4 cut a piece of hanger to 10.4 tape it near the top of the piece for tire height, do this with the vehicle weight on the axle, now simply rotate the axle and see if you have clearance issues with my 8.8 I can run a cragar super spoke 15x10 with a 275/60/15 with 3/4 clearance no other mods.i am also going to install a 96 cobra hydra boost system, the front has been converted to disk with brackets from scarebird these allow previra rotors with caddy calipers all under 250 bucks, all bolt on now I have 4 wheel power disc brakes, as far as what im building to power it is a 545 stroker 460 with all scat internals, the car is in really nice shape and it only has 57k original miles and everything works down to the dome lite and I drove it home. I been building street rod for 25 years and this is my first ford in about 20 so far im really liking it, I will be selling the 289 engine and trans out of it, some things I need or info on is, I need a new headliner, front and rear seat covers ,new carpet, trunk spring rods, big block font coils, big block engine mounts, if anyone has ideas or tips and trick on this build please let know, please forgive any spelling or punctuation, im old and just love cars lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome, thanks for taking the time to post. Cool project - first thing I did was look to see where you were. (No profile info)

Yep you are smart to sell/trade (read fund) project as you won't have use of small block items. You don't mention trans choice - but even that stuff can be traded if you have Z bar and are going to hydrolic. SOUNDS like you like using what you can get from other sources and fit.

Seems to be a big following for fairlanes ! They are new to me - after over 150 cars this is my first. Keep us updated with photos !

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep I forgot to mention the trans I am looking for is either a long or short c6, not sure what you mean about a z bar, I will fix the profile thing but I am in Harrogate tn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yep I forgot to mention the trans I am looking for is either a long or short c6, not sure what you mean about a z bar, I will fix the profile thing but I am in Harrogate tn.
Well you won't need a Z Bar for a C6! That is on 4speed cars. May have some things here for you as I went the other way - removing a BBF for a SBF.

Have sold trans crossmember but probably have motor mounts still

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need mounts and some heads, im going to use stock heads on the 545, cause my son is 21 and never drove anything with this kind of power, so we can expand on it as he gets use to it, I am removing the factory small block and trans it only has 57k original and runs great, id like to trade it off motor for motor and trans for trans if anyone is doing a late 60 model and wants a matching date codes, im looking for headliner, carpet seat covers, and the inside door arm rest, as far as the motor im looking for everything for it I started with a dove block, and bought the 4.5" stroke crank 6.7 rods, and mahle pistons from clegg engine service, I had another 460 but it was totally trashed glad I only spent 200 on it, I bought a ready to go block from the machine shop for 300 with all the machine work done

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 1967 fairlane build (new member) new pics

I posted some pictures in the gallery of the car motor and rear install

1 - 7 of 7 Posts