Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1967 Galaxie 500 convertable that is 98% original. I am rebuilding the steering column and need help locating a specific plastic washer. I have searched the usual catalogs (dearborn classics, Mac parts, etc) with no success.

The washer is located at the underside of the upper column cover, It is located to make contact with the second column cover (where the shift handle is) and reduces friction. it has a slightly wavy profile and I'm told it was made that way to facilitate the horn by placing a minimal amount of tension on the horn plate. The washer profile is OD 1.388, ID 1.09 and a thickness of .0465. Does anyone know where I could locate such a wavy style washer?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about (just went through my column). I pulled a spare column and may have what you are talking about, I reused the one in mine. I can check this weekend if I have the one out of the junkyard column I pulled. Did you lose the one out of your column?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I know what you are talking about (just went through my column). I pulled a spare column and may have what you are talking about, I reused the one in mine. I can check this weekend if I have the one out of the junkyard column I pulled. Did you lose the one out of your column?

Hi Greg,

I do have the old one, and planned to use it again if I couldn't find a suitable replacement. However, mine looks worn and I'd rather replace it if I could.

Rob

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I didn't find it, doesn't mean it's not out there. Likely would be in the same shape as yours. I have the MP catalog, shows a number for it in the diagram, but I cannot correlate that to any Ford part #. Pretty sure all that does is act as a bushing between the two collars since one moves and the other doesn't. Shouldn't have anything to do with the horn seeing where it is placed in the column.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't find it, doesn't mean it's not out there. Likely would be in the same shape as yours. I have the MP catalog, shows a number for it in the diagram, but I cannot correlate that to any Ford part #. Pretty sure all that does is act as a bushing between the two collars since one moves and the other doesn't. Shouldn't have anything to do with the horn seeing where it is placed in the column.
I appreciate the info. I will clean and reuse the original washer/bushing.
Forgive a stupid question, but what is an MP catalog? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Master Parts catalog, not sure it should be abbreviated as such, but I always end up doing it. I have the version on CD that covers 65-72 Fords (all of them). Would have been what the dealer parts counter had back in the day only in a bunch of large binders. Has exploded diagrams of just about anything you could ever need as well as info on the original part #'s which can sometimes aid in tracking a part down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Master Parts catalog, not sure it should be abbreviated as such, but I always end up doing it. I have the version on CD that covers 65-72 Fords (all of them). Would have been what the dealer parts counter had back in the day only in a bunch of large binders. Has exploded diagrams of just about anything you could ever need as well as info on the original part #'s which can sometimes aid in tracking a part down.
Greg,

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I will be pulling the new wires into the steering column today, as well as re-assemblying the upper steering wheel components. That includes reusing the old bushing.

I also just bought the Ford Master Parts Catalog for the car.
Thanks again,
Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts