Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New to this forum, My son just bought a 1967 Ford galaxy 500, and it has lots of wiring issues. It was a hot mess but we’re working through it bit by bit. I’ve gotten a lot of it figured out but the headlight switch when heats up really bad when you plug it into the harness. the power wire going to the light switch heats up a lot to, to the point that it might start melting the wire insulation. I’m thinking I either have a faulty headlight switch or a poor ground somewhere,any suggestions? When I pulled the headlight switch on, the top two headlights light up but not the bottom two...are all four supposed to light up? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
167 Posts
From past experience, when a switch gets hot usually the switch itself is bad. I believe you can still get replacements for around $25-30 aftermarket.
In my Meteor ALL the aftermarket switches didn’t fit correctly. I tried, and returned the switch to 3 different sources! I ended up buying a used original. This might be because I have a Meteor and not a Fairlane though. Might be a slight difference in dashboard dimensions?

·
Registered
359 Posts
You don't mention if you had the high or low beams activated when you pulled the headlight switch out. So, I'll say this; when you pull the switch the top two headlights will light if on low beam. All four illuminate on high beam only.

I had an issue with the headlight switch getting hot as well. I replaced it with an NOS switch and then decided to install a headlight relay kit to eliminate the power going through the switch.

·
Registered
494 Posts
check the headlight bulbs. if halogen, you need to run a relay to power them. they draw too much current for the switch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From past experience, when a switch gets hot usually the switch itself is bad. I believe you can still get replacements for around $25-30 aftermarket.
In my Meteor ALL the aftermarket switches didn’t fit correctly. I tried, and returned the switch to 3 different sources! I ended up buying a used original. This might be because I have a Meteor and not a Fairlane though. Might be a slight difference in dashboard dimensions?
Good to know...
I have a 1967 Mustang to...may be the same light switch..I might try swapping that one in and give it a go...see if it over heats too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the highbeam issue, did you test or replace the highbeam switch?
Yeah...I feel stupid now..it didn’t occur to me that those were separate high beams!🙄never had a car with 4 headlights before...my bad!😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts