Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem about 5 months ago getting my 1967 289 Auto to start and had to jiggle the shifter a bit to get it to start again. It only happened a few times but each time I could find the sweet spot in a few minutes. Today I went to go for a cruise and I couldn't get it to start. Turning the key causes a sort of warning noise and the brake light to flash and for the life of me I couldn't find a spot to get it to start, park or neutral.

I did some snooping and it looks like the linkage is probably worn. How easy is this for a novice to finagle with and set straight? I am pretty green with most automotive repair. I get how things work but only after research and lots of pictures sadly.

-Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
your neutral safty switch is shot/not making contact anymore...
get a new one or bypass it......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Though I wasn't able to find any videos or diagrams explaining how the slider works I was able to play with it and figure out how it works on my own. Apparently the screw holes are sort of slots that allow a bit of play to make sure that the arm is on the two brass connectors in park. Learn something new everyday I suppose. Pretty neat how it works on these older cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts