Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, here's my dilemma.

I have a 67 Mustang coupe that I have had in my possession for about 8 years. The car needs a bit of work. It was a I6 to V8 conversion in process when I bought it. It has a mild 302 from a Mercury Comet (I decoded the engine serial number) that is not running right now. I replaced the rear end with a 67 gt rear end since the original rear end was damaged by the power of the v8 at some point. The cowl leaks and I know at least one floor pan needs replacing. Quarter panel needs smoothing, there is a little rust in the front frame rails, though I think it's surface rust. Bottom line, it is decently solid, but it really needs some work.

I came across a Galaxie 500 that has been on sale by a local guy who works at an industrial fabrication shop that I pass by on the way to work for the better part of 6 months. It's a 1966 Galaxie 500XL 2-door with a 390. It runs and drives. The interior needs a bunch of work and I can tell the quarter panels will need to be redone because someone did a crappy job on it. I note small spots of rust on the fender wells and on he edge of the hood and trunk. The frame rails are good, looks like no cowl rust, floor panels look good (from what I can tell). It's got bench seats (which i actually like), Cragar mags & side pipes with glass packs. It's also numbers matching, which oddly actually appeals to me. It was originally on sale for $4500 6 months ago, then down to $3500 two months ago, then now down to $2500 three days ago. I spoke with guy about the car and he almost seemed reluctant to let it go. He needed the money and his wife won't let him keep it. He was originally going to pull the engine, but decided to keep the car whole because it was numbers matching.

I like my Mustang. I have bought many parts waiting to be installed. I have move Mustang manuals and magazine that you can throw a stick at. I got model cars, emblems, shirts, screen savers, etc. I love mustangs, you get the idea. HOWEVER, the idea of having a vehicle so widely popular and so common has bothered me a little. I have always been one to be and do and own the more unique route. Rarity and originality has always appeared to me. The idea of a larger cruiser is really appealing to me. It's a vehicle that runs and I feel I would be more motivated to sacrifice my time on. But the Mustang will (I think) always have better resale value and is easily identifiable. My buddies are dying for me to sell them my Mustang, climbing over each other for a chance to get at it, which really has me second guessing the whole thing.

Please chime in as I would love to hear everyone's opinions...

·
Super Moderator
21,605 Posts
That's a tough one to me. With the rust you see i wonder how much you don't see and call me cheap but i think it's too much for a car in that condition but i said i'm cheap. :) With Fords it's a date matching more than numbers like a GM has but do wonder, if it's an XL wouldn't even a '66 have buckets? Of course that depends on who ordered new probably and i don't know the 66s like i do the 64s which in XL would be buckets.

I do agree, the mustang is everywhere though. Maybe it comes down to how much more is it going to cost and time to get the mustang where you want it vs getting that galaxie to where the mustang is now. Check ebay and such too and see what they are selling for in similar or better condition if there are some listed.

That's bout it for my opinion. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was kind of in the same pickle...
I have a 67 fairlane I married my wife in in 97, some where along the line, I picked up a 66 gala xl. Big brawny car, 352, emberglow, chrome steelies. One day the motor started knocking, and had to decide wether to rebuild the galaxie, wich wasn't really in that great of shape, sort of like the condition of the one your looking at, or keep the flane, solid floors, rockers good. good running 289. gala had to go.
Now look at her. all pretty in red.
Ive seen my gala in port townsend, and wish Ide kept it. I tried to talk to the kid that had it, little pr*ck wouldn't even give me the time of day.
Keep the mustang.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts