Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've recently purchased a 1967 V6 3speed Ford Mustang and the car drove great without any noticeable issues. The car is stock. However, as of today, I had a hard time starting the car after leaving my local gym. The previous owner suggested that I turn the key and give the car a little gas simultaneously with my foot on the clutch and the car would start. This method worked up until today.
Tonight I turned the key, gave it some gas with my foot on the clutch and the engine would not roll over. The starter sounded strong but the engine was not catching to roll over. After trying a few times, I sat and waited a minute and tried again giving it more gas this time and she finally rolled over. I put her in reverse then drove away. 1 minute later after idling a stop sign in neutral, I put her in 1st gear to take off and she stalled. It felt as if the engine was breathing or idling in a weak fashion. Again, I had a battle getting the car to roll over. The rest of the way home I didn't take any chance and kept the rpm's high by staying in gear.
I'm not sure if its the carburetor, fuel pump, alternator, battery or starter but I really want to gt this car running more efficiently.

If anyone has any suggestions please share..
Thanks
-Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
First off {and I am HIGHLY restraining myself here}, you should open the Hood of your car and look at how many things you mistyped this evening.

You need help and we're here to help you, but FIRST OFF, you MUST NEEDS know what engine you have, and I am 150% POSITIVE that you do not have a V-6 under the hood of your Mustang.

Second off I'll give you as much help as I can:

1: What the hell does ROLL Over mean? I am trying to understand but I can place at least 3 meanings behind this phrase.

2: Is your engine actually CRANKING when you turn the key to the Start position?

3: How new is your fuel filter?

4: How new are your spark plugs?

5: Notice how I used comprehensible sentences? They actually help a little...

6: A 67 Mustang is a nice ride. I'm glad you came here to seek advice! You will eventually get the answers you seek, provided you ask the questions you need answered........................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1: What the hell does ROLL Over mean? I am trying to understand but I can place at least 3 meanings behind this phrase.

2: Is your engine actually CRANKING when you turn the key to the Start position?
That drives me crazy too.

Everyone has different terminology and this is what makes diagnosing difficult.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
X-2... And NONE of my cars 'roll over' and I am glad, I hate body work... ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, ok, sorry to confuse you all with my rookie terminology. The engine Cranks but did not start. I gave it gas as the key was in the start position and after three/four attempts, the car started.
Any ideas on what might be the issue?

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
This is not a fix, but an old procedure we used to start the old bones when I was a used car mechanic as a teenager, a LONG time ago LOL

"Never pump while cranking" you'll be amazed at how well most carbureted cars start if you follow that rule.

Stomp stomp with your right foot, sets the choke and fast idle and gives a couple shots of fuel into the engine

Turn the key with your foot on the carpet.

If it doesn't start, repeat, stomp stomp, foot on the carpet.

Now, you may have to feather the throttle once it fires, especially if the choke is misadjusted or not working, engine needs a tune, etc, but I can almost promise, if you get into this habit, even well tuned cars will start better for you.

Give it a shot before you troubleshoot, you may find it's all it takes

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Just to be clear, foot on the carpet means NOT on the gas pedal.

My wife was looking over my shoulder and said, "Are you telling him to floor it?" LOL

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
And are we still certain its a v-6?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes, it's a V-6.

67's didn't come with "v6's", they have straight 6's unless someone swapped a v6 in...

Either way, it sounds like you may have been flooding the carburetor. I use to do the same thing when my dad first gave me the 68. Then I would get pissed when it didn't start, not knowing it was my fault... It was fun being 18...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
67's didn't come with "v6's", they have straight 6's unless someone swapped a v6 in...
F plainly stated it has a V6. No one said anything different so he has to be correct. After all, he is perfect or did you not get that memo? ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts