Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a 67 mustang.
My motor is gone no compression and has blow by am looking to replace it or rebuild it.
But I was looking to purchase a used 302 so my question is what year 302 will fit it

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I am rebuilding a 67 mustang.
My motor is gone no compression and has blow by am looking to replace it or rebuild it.
But I was looking to purchase a used 302 so my question is what year 302 will fit it
Only a 1981 and earlier 302 will work. Newer ones than that have a different external balance. Old is 28 oz-in, newer is 50 oz-in. In other words, the balance weights on the harmonic balancer and flywheel are different sizes. You'll need a 1981 or older engine.

If you want to use a newer engine, it would be a good time to find a donor car and update both the engine and transmission. To convert to a T5 style 5-speed, you'll need a cable clutch conversion available at www.mustangsteve.com

Good Luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks might just have to rebuild my own
If you want to use a later roller cam 5.0 aka 302 this will solve one issue as it will accept your early pulleys and water pump and retain the 50 ounce balance Professional Products Small Block Ford Harmonic Balancers If you have a C4 or Stick shift contact Summit for a 50 ounce flexplate or flywheel to match your stocker another option is to use a 351W also known as a 5.8 they retained the same 28 ounce balance as your current 289 uses so just swap over your existing parts to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks might just have to rebuild my own

Not sure if you:
1. have a manual or auto trans
2. looking for a daily driver or ???
3. HP your trying to achieve?
4. What MPG?
5. How much $ you would like to spend.
6. Are your plans to evenually to keep original?
7. What is the End Game?

I agreed with JeffB2 suggestion of the 351W, Cost difference is close to the same depending on the goal and can be increase to 427ci. Super Charger, Turbo and NOS is also an option. Just remember what you plan to spend at the end 2x$$$.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a c-4 and jus looking for a cruiser
Well Lets go from there,

Your C4 will mate to any Windsor engine from 1965 (6bolt bell-housing) -1981 excluding the 351W which was discontinued 1997.

IF the plan is for performance the C4 can be mod to handle the power plus FORD also makes a C6 which can be bolted to the mentioned Windsor 6bolt pattern. For better Gas mileage the AOD will bolt up and work, but there's what as known as the imbalance factor and will have to replace the 28oz flywheel and harmonic balance to a 50oz.

I had perform this same process on my brother-in-law 1967 Mustang HT with his 289. Once the AOD was install with both the 50oz flywheel and harmonic balance, his MPG went from 18MPG Highway to 24MPG and city from 10MPG to 15MPG.

You can also replace the trans cross-member and drive shaft with the stock C6 units for the Mustang instead.

Cruiser? Please be more specific. Daily driver? Stock? Modify?
What is your limit $$$$?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts