Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A previous owner put a mid 80s 302 in my 68 cougar. The motor's original dip stick is in the side of the block, but a different pan was put on so the engine would go into the cougar. Then because the different pan is on, a timing cover with the dip stick in the top was used. So now I have a 50 oz 302 w/ a early timing cover and pan.

I tried to time it yesterday and could not find the timing pointer. On the early 302s was it on the driver's or passenger's side?

I am assuming that once I do find the timing pointer (if there is one) that I will need to get a timing tape for the balancer.

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
730 Posts
Da - I have an early style front cover (with the dipstick hole). My timing pointer is just in front of the dipstick boss. It's not a 'needle type' pointer, it's a piece of stamped sheetmetal.

Rick

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thats what I was worried about. I was looking for it on the passenger side and it wasn't there. I will get under the car and try and take a look. I will need to locate one and then get some timing tape and figure out where this thing is. I wonder if its on the same spot for the 81 and up 302s? If it is then I might not need timing tape. So how bout it 5.0 guys? Is the timing pointer on the pass side?

thanks
Austin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts