Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Back story) A guy bought this car while down in Arizona back in 1990. He had someone there, weld tow-bar mounts to the front frame rails, so he could tow-bar it back to Michigan. He drove the car around during the summer months here, until about the year 2000. The brakes went out, so he quit driving it and parked it behind his cottage and forgot about it. During that time of being put out to pasture, someone had stolen the entire interior out of it. Everything.......seats (front and rear), door panels, door window cranks, headliner, back window package tray covering, floor carpeting and some trim. Also stolen were the extra front and rear bumpers he had sitting in it, that he had picked up for it, that were mint condition. He said that he was (someday) going to replace the bent ones on the car with them, but never got around to it.

(about two years ago) I was looking for a 60’s Falcon or Fairlane to get me hands dirty with. I started asking around, spreading the word. I was told about an old Falcon, that was about 20 miles away. I tracked it down, talked with the owned and we agreed on a price and I bought it. We put a couple gallons of fresh fuel in the tank, and a new battery under the hood. Poured some fuel down the carburetor, and hit the key. It fired right up and idled, as smoothly as a brand new car. Not bad for a forty something year old machine that had been sitting for more than ten years. The front tires were completely flat with huge weather cracks, and when aired up would hold air for only a couple minutes at that. Even with the slipping clutch, she managed to move herself from her resting spot, and drive up and onto the car trailer, under her own power. I got it home and cleaned it up. I was amazed at how she looked after a good washing. I had other projects to attend to before I could begin to scrape my knuckles on the Falcon. So I rolled her into the barn, until the time came for it.

Now (2013) it’s the Falcons turn to take center stage and get some loving. It’s a 289 (2 bbl) with a 3-speed and an 8” rear. It hasn’t been hacked on, and it’s pretty much all stock. Even though the cars been on the back burner, I’ve been gathering parts for it over the last couple years, when I come across them for cheep. I’m not looking to do a resto with it, or even make it into a fast car. I’m going to build it, to what I’d call a 70-80’s retro build. Nothing fancy, just how the average Joe would have throw some aftermarket parts at the car during that time period. This is just a guide line really. Nothing set in stone, just a poorboy’ build. Something to drive once and a while during the warm summer days, and friendly enough the wife could have it take her to work when ever she sees fit.

the day that I draged it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what it looked like when I cleaned it up, and threw on a set of Weld Prostar wheels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
That looks like a nice solid car and I wish you well in finding all the missing parts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Really nice find. You'll find that these late 60's "forgotten" Falcons are a hidden jewel. Mechanical parts are easy to find but the cosmetics are not easily found. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sweet Falcon!! I am a bit partial to them as I had a 66 Ranchero and a 66 Falcon both with 302's. Love the falcons and kinda wish I could have kept going on the one I had 4 years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on your 68. Looks alot like the one I had 20 years ago. I am thinking of purchasing it back from the guy I sold it to. Bad part is it was totaled 10+ years ago. I brought home my first born in that car. He is now 22 and just sold his 68 4 door for a Subaru. The 4 door is being robbed of its 289 to go into a 68 mustang . I was thinking about combining his 68 and my old 68 to rebuild and give it to him when done. Lotta work but I think it could be worth it to save it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Here’s my list so far, of junk that I acquired for my Falcon build....
I have an old (but in excellent shape)70’s era Torker (pre-Torker II) aluminum 4 barrel intake manifold (open plenum) I took it off one of my old parts trucks, to swap out with the current 2-barrel on the Falcon 289. (free)
Picked up a brand new Holly 600 manual choke carb..... 1850 I think? (craigslist, $70)
2” Aluminum carb spacer and 3”x 14” air cleaner assembly off an old parted out car from years back (free)
Bought a 85 Mustang GT last summer, it had brand new set of Accel 8.8 sparkplug wires and Accel Super-Coil on it. I took them off before I sold the car. (free)
Also off the same Mustang GT, a set of the tall polished aluminum Ford Motorsports valve covers (free)
Racaro type Racing seats and brackets with 5-point harnesses (craigslist, $50) The bench seat has to go.
Brand new in the boxes Comp (268H) cam, lifters and valve springs (craigslist, $30)
Almost new, Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator (junkyard, $2)
Ford distributer with blue tab Duraspark ignition box (extra laying around from parts cars, Free) ......ditching the old points dizzy and going electronic
Complete Hurst floor shifter with linkages (used craigslist, $30) replace column shift
An 8.8 rear axle with 4.11’s and a locker with disk breaks with only 13,000 miles ($200) ....same width and bolt pattern as the 66-70 Falcons
Lakewood yellow traction bars with hardware, new in the box (garage sale, $10)
13 1/2” 3-spoke, foam grip Grant steering wheel with mounting hardware, but missing horn button (junkyard, $8)
Weld Pro-Star wheels/tires with caps and lugnuts. (craigslist, $225)
Vintage Sun Super-Tach II (blue line) tachometer with mount (swap meet, $15)
Sun-Tune (oil/water/volt) triple gauge set (new, $32)
Headman longtube ceramic coated headers with exhaust pipes, Flowmaster mufflers and turndowns (sisters boy friend $40)

I knew that this Falcon project was going to happen someday, and I wanted to see how cheep I could build it, and yet have it somewhat respectable for what I’d have into it. So I always had my eyes open, for parts that I might need for the car. If it was a good deal, I bought them.

So here’s where I’m at. I initially paid $1,800 for the car, delivered to my house. And I had a little over $700 into the extra parts (listed above) that I gathered/collected over time. So roughly as it stands, $2,500 with the car and parts at this point. I know there would be some other expenses, with gaskets, hoses, fluids etc... but for the most part, a pretty cool old car, on a poor boy budget. Pretty easy on the wallet so far, I’d say.

Well it was a good start anyways.......The plan for my cheep street Falcon might be changing. So most parts that I scrounged for it at this point will probably be going up on a shelf now, waiting for another project to be bolted to. Maybe for the better or even maybe worse, but I have a deal that was offered up to me that will take the car build, in a new direction.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Good to hear you're on your way to driving it. What's the new direction?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear you're on your way to driving it. What's the new direction?

The guy that I got the headers/exhaust from for the Falcon, (my sisters boyfriend) asked if I wanted to buy the motor that the headers originally went to. It’s a full roller 306 SBF with ported Edelbrock Victor Jr. Aluminum cylinder heads with stainless valves, Ford/Cobra aluminum valve covers, Harland Sharp roller rockers, port-matched Edelbrock Victor Jr. aluminum intake, Holly race prepped carburetor, huge lift/overlap Crane cam (forgot the #’s but big) with Crane roller lifters, Mallory mechanical advance electronic distributor, Taylor plug wires, Keith Black 10 1/2 to 1 forged pistons, Eagle rotating bottom end and a SFI aproved dampener. All internals are matched-balanced. Currently not even a 1000 miles on the topend/heads and the compression test numbers are even across all cylinders. Complete from air cleaner to oil pan.

It was in his 3,200# prostreet Comet, with 4.11’s and a 4,500 stall converter that he could consistently run mid 12’s. Wanted to be in the 10’s with all motor and no power adder, so he had an all new motor built last year. (now he’s into the high 10’s with his car) He kept the motor as a back up, but came to the conclusion that he wouldn’t want to go back to a slower motor, and his new motor has already proven itself, and could use the cash, so he offered it up to me.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
That would be a good direction if the cam isn't too radical for the street. If of course you're building a street cruiser.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts