Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hello to all !!

I've just had my interior and new paint as well as new riddler rims put on my gal she looks fantastic and I will post some pics soon.

My question is this will power window switches / relays from a Cougar - Torino or T-Bird work on my 68 Galaxie ? I'm looking to replace the master switch ( 5 switch ) on the drivers door as I have had my relays cleaned and remounted on two occassions but they are on thier last leg. The motors on all windows work well its just the wonky relays.

Thanks for any advice

Rob aka Punchyguy

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Does yours look anything like this? This is a '67 master switch from the backside:

Have you tried cleaning the switch with some good contact cleaner? That's all it took for the switch on my '67. I tried looking around for a replacement for mine and nothing was advertised to fit or looked right, so I had to work with what I had. I would guess yours is similar to mine. It's not to hard to take the master switch apart and clean the individual switches.

You remove the screws holding in the center buss bar, then there are small black clips that hold the individual switches in place and they can be removed:

The gold clips on the side allow you to remove the lever and expose the contacts:

Switch and relay are separate, at least it's that way in mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes same switches---I did the cleaning of all my switches last year had them all working for a few months and then last week bupkis ! I'm going to remove the master switch panel again and give it another once over...cant hurt to try bicasue like you stated they are a nightmare to try and find or replace

thanks for the reply
take care

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Are the window motors all original? I've had to replace both of my front door motors. Drivers side worked when I got the car, but then wouldn't go up. Thought it was the switch, but cleaned it out and it still wouldn't work. Passenger side front door would only go down about half way and then it quit altogether. That side took a combination of replacing the motor and cleaning and re-lubing the tracks to get it to work right.

I first cleaned my switch out with a cleaner that left a lot of residue on the contacts. Had further issues with the passenger door even with the new motor and then used CRC Contact cleaner (Lowes or Home Depot will have it in the electrical department) and everything in the front now works great.

I've never been able to get the small rear windows to do anything since I've had the car, but I'm planning on pulling the rear seat and the panels and working on those this summer.

If you have a DMM you can bench test the master switch out of the car. Move the switch to one position and the the upper or lower wire will have continuity with the power buss bar in the middle and the other will be at ground. Move it to the other position and they will reverse. If that all checks out, then your switch is fine.

Should only be one relay, it's on the firewall if I remember right. It could be failing under load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts