Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all does anyone have a good wiring diagram for behind the dash of a 68 XL? Like radio, and everything else. Secondly, where can I get a good aftermarket stereo to mount in the stock hole?

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just hung my radio off the bottom of the dash and left the original working in its original place. Putting any kind of aftermarket radio in the factory place is nearly impossible unless you are willing to cut up your gauge area. If you dont want to hang an aftermarket radio off the bottom of the dash, you can always hit up a junkyard for a factory center console you can put under the dash that accepts a radio. They do make radios that will fit in the factory location but most have tape players in them and you cluster plastic covers the face of the radio.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just did an vintage auto sound (or is it custom autosound?) conversion. I haven't finished the wiring and speakers no sound feedback yet. It fits perfectly, no cutting. However, I felt the overall appearance was disappointing. The knobs are plastic chrome, and the centers should be black IMO like the original. No biggie there, the real issue is the horrible dash plate! It is a cheap flat ABS plastic rectangle with "chrome" sticky plastic, just janky looking stuff.

I'll probably piss someone off by admitting this, but I took my stock plate, and milled it out in the center to fit the new head unit. WAY better looking, and matches the patina of all the other dash parts. Not perfect, not nasty, just right, lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts