Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if they are a windshield seal from another vehicle that will fit a 1968 Galaxie XL Fastback? Or a source for the OEM seal? I’ve tried Autokrafters, Macs, Dennis Carpenter, Concours, just about everywhere I can think of no one caries it. Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I believe there is no "seal" as in a rubber gasket or whatever you want to call it.

Those windshields are "glued in" with butyl tape or urethane sealer dispensed from a caulking gun.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I believe there is no "seal" as in a rubber gasket or whatever you want to call it.

Those windshields are "glued in" with butyl tape or urethane sealer dispensed from a caulking gun.
+1

Both the front and rear glass on your '68 fastback are glued in with butyl tape from the factory, but you can use a modern urethane glue with a glass primer if you wish.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thanks so much I did find a seal for the back glass from Dennis Carpenter. However that would explain why no one could locate one for the front. I do appreciate it!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wouldnt happen to know where I could get the stainless steal mounding for the back glass would you?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Great thanks so much I did find a seal for the back glass from Dennis Carpenter. However that would explain why no one could locate one for the front. I do appreciate it!!
Hello Strokin68xl,

You have me extremely curious, what seal did you buy for the large rear glass on the '68 XL? I now have two of these cars ( both XL fastbacks) and I've removed one rear glass and it is the same generic roll of butyl tape as the windscreen. The 1968 galaxie 500 4 door post car might use an 'H' seal for the rear glass, I know the '66 galaxie 500 4 door post only (the rare 2 door post may also be the same) car uses the 'H' seal otherwise all other body styles the rear window is glued in.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You wouldnt happen to know where I could get the stainless steal mounding for the back glass would you?
Hello again,

That's going to be used only either from places like E-Bay or a junkyard (DVAP and CTC Autoranch are a couple to try).

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Strokin68xl,

You have me extremely curious, what seal did you buy for the large rear glass on the '68 XL? I now have two of these cars ( both XL fastbacks) and I've removed one rear glass and it is the same generic roll of butyl tape as the windscreen. The 1968 galaxie 500 4 door post car might use an 'H' seal for the rear glass, I know the '66 galaxie 500 4 door post only (the rare 2 door post may also be the same) car uses the 'H' seal otherwise all other body styles the rear window is glued in.

Cheers
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the seal direct from Dennis Carpenter. They may be sending me something I don’t need or can’t use. I called them and asked for both the windshield and the back glass seal they said they cannot get the windshield but have the back glass in stock. I will give you the part number when it arrives and let you know when I try to install it if it’s gonna work. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Strokin68xl,

Cheers
It was for the large rear glass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was for the large rear glass.
Hello Strokin68xl,

Cheers
So I received the seal today I matched it up to the back glass and it seemed to look like the right fit. However the bottom of rear glass on the frame side has no groove to put the seal around so I believe it is a universal seal I’m not sure if it will work. Part number is czaz-6342084-b
It says it’s for 67-69 2 dr hardtop fastback

1 - 11 of 11 Posts