Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few months, the wipers haven't been working. I'm assuming it's the wiper motor as I don't think it's been replaced in many, many years. However, I don't know the first thing about testing whether it actually is or not.

A while back, I was power washing the car and out of nowhere the wipers began to work again, but died again after a few days. I have not been able to replicate this event.

The thing about this specific motor is that I absolutely cannot find a reasonable replacement. The only one I've found online was on eBay and they recently doubled the price to 500. Ive tried checking classic salvage yards as well, but to no success.

Would any of you be able to help me out in knowing where I could get one? Or what type of motor from another similar car, if any, would work?

The motor in question https://imgur.com/a/7wIvUH0

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hopefully someone with more specific advice will respond but in the meantime, you might see if there is an auto electric shop around you that can test/repair. They are hard to find. I believe my city only has one. There are other places with that title, but when push comes to shove, they either send their parts to the real shop here, send them out of town to be rebuilt, or just sell you a new one (if available). But if you can find a real shop, they can test and possibly fix it. This assumes you can get the old one out with reasonable ease, to bring it to them. Some years (all?) can be a real bear. But since it worked for a bit, I'm thinking it's not totally hosed. Maybe something with the park switch?

Sorry I don't have more direct experience/advice.

Pat

·
Registered
341 Posts
Its pretty easy to test the motor yourself. To test the low speed operation, disconnect the wiring connector and jump the blue and white wires of the connector. Then, using an alligator clip, clamp the red and yellow wires together with one end of a jumper wire and the other end of the jumper wire to the positive post on the battery. It should move on low speed.

To test the high speed, attach the alligator clip to the yellow wire connector only, again with the other end going to the positive post on the battery. It should move at high speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! Thank you guys for replying. So I did some testing and found that it wasn't actually the wiper motor that was bad.

So I picked up the motor from my buddies place. I took a multimeter to cables and all the plugs are supplying proper power. I ended up putting it back in last night and found that it went right on started working again. The problem I'm having however seems to be two fold.
The first being the top connector of the motor is really finicky and likes to stop working if it's moved around too much, thus shutting the motor off until I go take it out and plug it been in again.
The second is that I'm missing some kinda unknown C clip or holder thing or another that holds the motor arm and the wiper arms together. I can slide the wiper arms connector onto the motor arm and it'll work for a few wipes until the wiper arms part slides off the arm and they stop moving.

My problem is, being a rather young guy who's working on his first car, Im not very knowledgeable about all the small bits and pieces of the different systems. Especially not one that's 30 years older than me. So any help in identifying what these things could be is much appreciated.

The two pieces in question
https://imgur.com/a/R9GOOHX

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, the manual is an original Ford service manual which has seen better days.

The clip you're missing is this: Windshield Wiper Arm Connecting Clip
You can do a Google search of the part number (C5ZZ-17531-A) to find other sellers.

Regarding the wiper motor connector, maybe you can clean up both the male and female connectors with electrical contact cleaner and crimp the female connector closed a bit. Then you can slide it on firmly without it losing connection. Just a thought.

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure if it's just the picture but that connector looks a bit oxidated. I would get some sandpaper or a jewelers file and give it a thorough cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts