Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Cool site, this is my first post here. I'm writing because interested in restoring a 1968 mercury cougar to biodiesel. The car is just a shell at the moment with no engine, transmission, or interior. The body of the car is in great shape but the powertrain will need to be added from scratch.

With an eye looking towards the future and rising gas prices I'm interested in making the car biodiesel. I'm writing to find out if there Is there anyone else who has converted a Mustang, Cougar or other classic or muscle car to biodiesel and what issues or problems came up in the process.

Does anyone know of another powerful ford-Lincoln-mercury diesel engine that will fit correctly into this car without needing custom engine mounts? I read about some other guy who used a Mercedes Turbodiesel Engine but I'd rather stick with Ford / Mercury parts to keep some of the cars integrity in tact. I've been trying to figure out if the F series truck engines would fits since they used a 6.0 liter turbo diesel engine.

Two important elements is that I'm looking for are that:
1. The car retains or adds more power over the original factory settings
&
2. That the car has air conditioning

I have no interest in re-sale value as I plan on keeping the car for a long time and no intention of restoring it back to the factory settings. All I want is to eat Camaro's for lunch and leave them in my dust...which smells like french fries...in a Hippy Hot Rod.

If you know of anyone else who has restored a classic or muscle car to biodiesel please reply. I'd like to find out how it went and if you have any tips, advice, feedback. All would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ummm sounds interesting and all but why? Diesel prices are higher than gasoline, UNLESS you are set up for refining your own...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I made biodiesel for years. 250gallons a week. good fun.

ford diesel that fits in a cougar? there is not one.
6.9, 7.3, 7.3 powerstroke, 6.0 etc are all huge and 600lbs too heavy for your cougar. You''ll be doing major surgery with any of these and with a 1200lb engine it'd handle like crap.

Mercedes inline 5 could work sure, Vw makes a huge amount of small underpowered engines. Or you could go with a Cummins 4bt that has the possibility of making enough power.
Of course after you spend $3000 on a core motor, spend $1500 (if ya do it yourself) getting it to fit, you still have crappy transmission selections. After you cut out the trans tunnel to fit your engine/trans of choice you'll probably be at about $6000 into the car so you can save a dollar a gallon on fuel. The 4bt gets maybe 25mpg, less if you want any actual power out of it.

My suggestion? find a good 390 and c6 for $2000, blow all the camaros away, your car has appreciated in both value and awesomeness, and as far as fuel? well the $4000 difference will buy a ton of fuel as the 390 will get half the economy of the diesel.

I shouldn't even mention the difference between the pulling up at a light sounding like your in a real muscle car and not somesorta bad running tractor, but whatever, some folks rarely need to get laid.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
No advantage to having the diesel unless you can get fuel for free and bio isn't free. The noise and vibration would be terrible. If you want something different with good mpg go with a turbo 4 cyl or super charged V6.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Interesting project. Pay no attention to people who recommend you stick a 1960s Ford gasoline engine in there - for efficiency's sake! Really, LOL!

I don't have any practical advice for you except to agree that some Cummins' have been put in these engine bays. Also, I once had a Cadilliac with a 350 converted to diesel, so I don't know why it could not be done with an engine & transmission that came with your Cougar. You will need a turbo, though, for some get up & go. Sorry, no links.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I have seen a 67/68 Cougar on the net somewhere with a Mercedes diesel in it complete with 5 speed. As for diesel prices. In Canada it is cheaper and of course the economy offsets any extra cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts