Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Arizona so even in winter I don't often deal with a really cold start, however we are experiencing record lows right now. Every morning when I go to start the car I get a slow start like the battery is half dead, and if it doesn't start I get a sharp grinding noise and what feels like the starter shifting place, although its tight and properly mounted. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am curious, what is consitered cold where you are at? I live in the N.E. but we don't seem to be having much cold weather here any more. Generally don't have cold cranking issues until well below freezing. Maybe starting but not cranking. Like the weatherman says "make sure your battery is up to good working order, use lighter motor oil, check tire pressure, and carry a cell phone". At real cold temps, a seemingly "good" battery can cause problems. The easiest place to start is to clean your terminals[batt., solenoid, and starter] and grounds. If the battery is 4 years old, low quality, or if you are not totally sure about it, have it tested and not just witha volt meter. Make sure it produces the sustained voltage and cold cranking amps needed. If nothing changed, go for the starter. Clean and lube where needed, the brushes, terminals, bendix drive and bushings or just replace it. Most likely, with a good battery, it is just loose or dirty connections.
Sorry, I tend to ramble but that's what I would do. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there is.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
crackthesky;1718392 At real cold temps said:
and grounds.

If the battery is 4 years old, low quality, or if you are not totally sure about it, have it tested and not just witha volt meter. Make sure it produces the sustained voltage and cold cranking amps needed.

If nothing changed, go for the starter. Clean and lube where needed, the brushes, terminals, bendix drive and bushings or just replace it.

Most likely, with a good battery, it is just loose or dirty connections.

Sorry, I tend to ramble but that's what I would do. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there is.
All good info... :tup:

The BAT has to be determined to be good. It may perform well in a light load situation, but fail in a heavy load situation. You also need to perform a voltage drop test on the complete starting system. The starter motor may not be getting all needed voltage and/or is dragging.

GOOGLE STARTING SYSTEM VOLTAGE DROP TEST.

Also check the charging system to make sure it is not only marginal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Arizona so even in winter I don't often deal with a really cold start, however we are experiencing record lows right now. Every morning when I go to start the car I get a slow start like the battery is half dead, and if it doesn't start I get a sharp grinding noise and what feels like the starter shifting place, although its tight and properly mounted. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?
Just judging by your symptoms it sounds like you have dirt or thick grease causing the bendix in the starter to be hard to turn over and/or engage properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a brand new starter and battery, but thanks for all the info, I'm sure it'll all come to use with my car eventually

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Its a brand new starter and battery, but thanks for all the info, I'm sure it'll all come to use with my car eventually
First rule of auto repair, new parts do not mean they came through perfect.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Sounds to me maybe marginal cables...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts