Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I seem to remember hearing about or reading about the Cale series back when. The Cyclone was only type I ever saw, but there was to have been some signature models within the remainder of the FoMoCo line up for the year. Again, they may have only constructed one or two.

Wm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I started this thread, but the first response was so ridiculously stupid, I deleted the entry: Here it is again, a supposed "1969 Cale Yarborough Ford XL". They say they have a Marti Report but I didn't think a Marti report would verify a "Dealer Prep". Besides, it has 390 in it...if you're going to do a Cale Yarborough edition of an XL at the dealership why wouldn't you put it on a 69 XL with the meanest motor available at the time - the 428 police package...just seems suspicious whenever I read about "dealer preps". On top of that its a column shift automatic - there were plenty of floor shift auto and manuals back then, why not something sportier for a legendary name like Yarborough? Check it out:

http://www.coleclassics.com/inventory_details.cfm?inventoryID=225

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Last427 on 11/16/06 10:47am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Last427 on 11/16/06 10:48am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Last427 on 11/16/06 10:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Interesting. It was obviously a "made up" package. You think they'd start with an XL GT? You could get these with 428 SCJ's in them. The stickers are from the Cyclone and the 390 emblems are from a valve cover the rest is boy racer stuff.
I guess the dealer wanted to sell some "pizzaz!" to use the vernacular of the day! Thanks for the link. I love the old full size stuff. Stu

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wait a minute!

I thought thie Marti Idiot only did MUSTANGS!

What's this crap about a Marti report for a Friggin LTD... which is really what an XL is afterall....

I think someone is full of crap... Besides he Contradicted himself by saying that there were 5 made but this was a ONE of ONE... Hmmmm

I agree with you that if it was going to be a name brand rental to get attention then it should have had at least a 4 speed! Gosh!

Thanks for the re-fresh... Oh, it was me that said "I dunno..." in the first reply and it wasn't stupid... Just the truth!

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FALCONAROUND on 11/16/06 11:45am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Now, I remember.

I used to go to the Motor Trend 500 at Riverside Raceway each January. In the infield the manufacturers and vendors constructed tents to show off their models. This all went on before the race, which started at 11AM. They had several Intermediates and Galaxies all with special paints on display. One of which was a C.Y. Galaxie. I think Warren-Anderson Ford used to sponsor the tent. Never saw one on their outdoor, nor indoor showroom.

A Los Angeles based dealerr brought out some G.T. 500's for show. Even the local Fiat dealer got into the pre-race show.

I usually towed home lot of brochures, decals and stickers.

Wm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am loking for an old pic of richard pettys talladega at riverside in 1969... i know he was driving a torino but the prototype talladega was on disply i was told.. thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not saying something is or isn't real, BUT, I will say while the notion of putting the "biggest, baddest, meanest" motor in one is logical, the factory didn't always do that. I knew a guy wiht a Dan Gurney model Cougar, if I recall, and seems I recall it had a 351W 2 barrel. I think I recall even reading the Cougar Eliminator base engine was 351 windsor. Not arguing, I'd think also, if you're going to tie to a celebrity, trick it out, but the factory didn't do that to my knowledge. I'd think, based on that, it's very possible any Dan Gurney or Cale Yarbrough models (as with the Cougar Eliminator) can be found with smaller engines. That'd sure be disappointing (to me), to find a cougar eliminator (which I love the looks of) and popping the hood to find a 351 2 barrel.... when you wanted to see a 428 cobra jet

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the standard motor in the DG/CY Cyclones was the 351, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

I have a diecast 69 CY Cyclone 1:24 model, and the engine has 351-4v decal on the airfilter.

And, these models are pretty accurately detailed.

Plus, most had no hoodscoop, which I think would have been part of a 428 motor package, unless it was deleted for airflow purposes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts