Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick one of these cars up ... Price isn't real cheap, but decent (I feel) $2,500.00.

Needs body cleaned up. No damage to speak of ... Just no finish to speak of either

Needs complete interior redo ... seats and all are there, it's just all shot.

It's a 351 Windsor 4V car with auto (which I would consider changing to a toploader)

Question: What is the parts availability on Cougars ... mainly interior. The body, I can handle for the most part.

Anything special to know about the hidden headlights? I can't tell if the work now or not.

This car hasn't seen the street in years.

Any input appreciated.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/23/02 9:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That is a smoking deal on an Eliminator. They go for close to 15-20K restored. Keep it original, and parts are getting better to find. Check out www.mercurycougar.net for help. They know Cougars, and everyone there is full of info. Good luck.

Rick

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
No doubt a great deal. I paid $1500 in 1980 for one needing a quarter. There's just something about a Eliminator...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What indicators should I look for to insure that this car is truely an Eliminator?

Any specific VIN markings or other unmistakeable items?

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/24/02 3:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Monster, there are interior codes that are specific to Eliminators. I have them at home, will post them up tonight. hey, if you decide you don't want that car, I'd love to have a look at it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok, here's the interior codes you want to be looking for:

5A - Black high back bucket comfortweave

5B - Blue high back bucket confortweave (my car)

EA - White high back bucket comfortweave

these were ELIMINATOR ONLY interior codes. if the car has one of these, it's the real deal. if it doesn't have one of these, it's not a real Eliminator.

there were only four exterior colors available in the Eliminators, but these colors were also available on regular Cougars, so the presence of these colors do not make it an Eliminator without the above interior code:

9 - Yellow

3 - Calypso Coral (Orange)

M - White (my car)

6 - Medium Blue Metallic

hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts