Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1969 Ford Torino (Petty Edition), does anyone else on this site own one? I'm trying to gather some information on these cars. I have the Marti report but still have yet to find something in print about them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok....some views but no comments. Has anyone seen one or have anything that might help me? Thanks......

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sorry, I remember the Cyclone Gurney and Yarbrough editions, but not the Torino Petty edition.

Guessing here, but maybe the Torino and Cyclone special cars are identical mechanically?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were 111 made and sold only thru the Charlotte DSO, all made in Atlanta and no paint code on the door as they were all special order paint (Petty Blue). Mine is a Q-code. Mine had a repaint before Marti Reports came about and so they thought it was grabber blue and that's what they went with, of course the paint is off when you open the doors, trunk and etc.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yes I knew they made those cars. I never saw one in person nor knew how many production there were. I however did see one at barret jackson on tv. Petty drove it accross and I think it was sold for the Petty foundation for chairty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have personally seen this car and it is very nice.
I don't know what Josh paid for the car but it has great potential to be a perfect car with a repaint, with only 111 made I think this is a real collector car.

Welcome to the forum I am glad you joined!

Rick

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ok , I knew there was something I remembered about Petty and a ford. Petty used to drag race a ford long ago. I beleive I am correct about this. I donot know who was driving the petty ford, Richard or not but the car got away from the driver. It went into the crowd , something came off but anyway a person died from the incident. Richard stopped drag racing. The car was buried on the Petty farm for years after it was crushed into a 3 foot by 3 foot square.

I live about 5 miles from a great friend I knew all my life that was a big racer. He used to drive a funny car that was called Viginia Twister. He also had a very fast roader runner and a baracuda. He had parts at his shop that came from Petty Enterprise . He knew Richards brother is how this next subject came to be.

This mans name was Billy West as his title was in connection to the funny car but not his real name The man died last year but his wife still sells stuff out of the shop. There is like 3 or 400 cars in back of that shop, mostly mopars. He always sold soft rubber street tires that held better than any tire I ever bought for the highway, alot of ford stuff as well . Now the rest of the story.......

I was at his shop years ago and saw a square crushed up metal thing as we were standing behind the shop. I could tell it use to be a car and asked Billy what it was. Then came the story when he was at the Petty home which he went alot. They were digging with a bicoe and up popped this square metel box which was a car. He had told me when the car was raced last and a person was killed they had the car crushed , buried on the farm and drag racing was over. That car was a blue torino. My friend stated he did alot of talking to accuire that crushed up car and got it with one clause. It was never to be sold at any price. He had told me that a man came to his shop knowing what the car was and offered him a rediculous price for it because of the history. As far as I know that crushed car is STILL behind the shop. If anyones intrested I will ask about it again for many around here knows of it and post maybe more. I thought it was intresting then, forgot about it till I saw this Richard Torino post. Sorry for the long post but thats what we do anyway, look for something intresting to read.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually, the Petty drag race accident was in a Barracuda, This was during the time Crysler pulled out of NASCAR over the Hemi ban. Pearson drove a Doge wagon called the Cotton Picker while out of NASCAR during the ban.
Petty switched to Ford in 1969 and won first time out at Riverside in the Petty Blue Torino. One year later he was back with Crysler.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sorry Jkupka, I didnot mean to hijack your thread. I just remembered something about Petty and a crushed race car I knew where was at and thought it was a tornio.

Anyway if you have one keep it. I am sure it is worth a bundle and would love to see a pic of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have the car ar Carlisle hopefully in the car corral, I suppose. Stop by...I have publications and the buildsheet and some magazine adds and a model car but nothing that shows the car in its normal state the way it was sold. Kevin Marti, said good luck, ho doubts anything was printed from Ford. I did find another guy here in Ohio that has a 69 Mustang in grabber that was part of group of another 102 cars painted to promote a Ford drag team in Cleveland, Going Crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I live same state as the Petty shop. Got a buddy that sees him at times. I can past the word to him to ask Richard about those cars and what info he may come up with or any paper work. If you send a pic of the car to Petty enterprises and what you want I am sure you can get a reply. Man you gota dig these days. Just start calling around to the shop . I am sure after a while you can get results.

·
Registered
100 Posts
HI Jkupka, I had seen one of these cars for sale on ebay about 6-7 months ago in dealer in texas.If i was not so far away i would have bought it .Is this your car looks great don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Link to pdf of Ebay auction for one of these http://media.collectorcarpricetracker.com/auction_data/2010/7/11/270603730722/270603730722.pdf[/URL]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys have me a bit confused because I swore that Petty drove a Talladaga Torino in Nascar. Did he drive a standard Torino for a while? Rcode's pic is of a standard one but I've only ever seen this one. http://tinyurl.com/c7m2lb3
Your correct, he did drive a Talladaga for the 69 season. But the promotion car Ford used was not a Talladaga but a Torino like the one I have. They made 111 of them in Petty Blue and were all ordered out of Charlotte under special order #1116. The paint code on the door is even blank. This is why its so hard to find any info on it as it has the low production number and nothing was printed to sell the car, just stuck in show rooms across the south.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts