Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What do you guys think of this? I restore motorcycles and want to give it a shot with cars. It definitely needs work but if it doesn't need too much body work then I don't mind doing all the annoying ditsy stuff like trim and interior stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Tyson, wanted to chat a bit about this car. These are getting harder to find, and depending on what is asked for it would determine buying it. A 1969 XL Sportsroof ( that is what it is called) is a neat car, the 390 V8 is a basic offering, the otional 429 V8 is what would be rare. Does it have the more desirable bucket seats with factory console? Most offered the basic front bench seat, with column shift C6 Automatic three speed transmissions. Some were optioned with the 4 speed manual transmission with the floor shift. Some of these cars were optioned with power front disc brakes, many had standard power or non power front brakes.The Front grille components can be found most readily at Ebay, and the Center grille runs about $900.00 and up. The concealed headlamp grille parts are hard to find, and the vacuum motor and components are very rare. Most trim items are hard to find, and can be pricey. The rear reflector panel under the taillights/trunk lid is rare and pricey. If this is a true XL, and not a Galaxie 500 decorated as an XL, that would be a good thing. Most body, Interior parts for these cars are NOT reproduced. I have had luck finding many on Ebay, and a place called www.rearcounter.com, and nospartsltd.com These two sites have parts selectible by part number only, but I have contact info for them if needed. If you can tell me the VIN number, I can tell you if it's a real XL. The VIN numbers first few characters are different on a Galaxie 500.
I currently own a 1969 Ford XL Sportsroof, a 1969 XL Convertible, and a 1969 Galaxie 500 Convertible. I have had the first car listed the longest, and have purchased many extra parts for it in the past 8 years or so..., "just in case". I'll never say what I spent, it was a small fortune. But...the parts I have are good for two of three of my cars, and some can be used on the Galaxie 500. I had a 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 Sportsroof back in 1973-74, when I was in high school.
I'd check in to this car, make sure frame is straight and not rusted out anywhere (not knowing if and how long its sat on the ground), check body for rust through (hence snow, road salts).
I love the 1969 Ford Galaxie and XL, the LTD is a nice car, and the Country Squire wagon would be a dream to find, in good condition, for me. Wagons are cool again, even 4 doors depending... Feel free to contact me for anything, if you decide to buy the car, I'll share my knowledge and connections, and help you find parts.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
That picture appears to have a LTD emblem on the point of the hood. The LTD would not have the fastback, or Sportsroof, in Ford speak. Is there a picture from the side and rear?

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's an XL emblem on the hood. ...for '69 the hood emblems for LTD's had three individual letters "L" "T" & "D" on the hood within the wreath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts