Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I just bought a 69 torino formal roof with a 351W and an FMX transmission with a column shift. I'm looking to add a set of headers and was checking Summit Racing's site out. I noticed that there were a couple of decently priced Heddman headers but when I went the application guide it noted that there were no clearance issues with an automatic with a floor shifter but that there were issues with an automatic with a column shifter. Anyone know what the issues are with the column shifter and if they can be worked around?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
948 Posts
check the hooker headers, they should fit with column shift. It has to do with the linkage of the column shifter and the rear tubes...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, the shift linkage is really in the way, and with most long tube headers they will hit the power steering cylinder. I had this happen with the 302 in my 68 torino fastback. If youve got the ambition and the $$$, i'd convert it to a floor shift anyways, much better feel i think. Or get some shorty headers from summit, i think they are fairly priced.

·
Registered
387 Posts
In my '68 Falcon I installed a 351W and FMX (from a '69 Torino) w/Shelby Tri-Y Headers, I also used a B&M Quicksilver Ratchet Shifter. I went with the B&M cause I would run into a hassle with the stock shift linkage.

The only "big" problem that I ran into was getting the shift cable adjusted correctly to match the letters on te floor shift. Still a little off, but I know how to get the shifter to work correctly and a thief wouldn't. When I take it to a shop, they have me drive it up on and off of the rack cause of that.

That was 5 years ago and everything is still working fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

TJ in Green Bay, Wi

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have hooker comp headers in my 69 fairlane with 351w, they are the cheaper ones (not super comp). I had some small clearance issues on the driver side only, they hit on the firewall between the gas and brake pedal, and a little on lower "frame". I use a floor shift, so don't know about the column shift. The same headers worked fine with my 302 and column shift, but I don't know with the 351w, should be fine though?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have hooker comp headers in my 69 fairlane with 351w, they are the cheaper ones (not super comp). I had some small clearance issues on the driver side only, they hit on the firewall between the gas and brake pedal, and a little on lower "frame". I use a floor shift, so don't know about the column shift. The same headers worked fine with my 302 and column shift, but I don't know with the 351w, should be fine though?
What is the part # you used on the 302 column shift. I have the 302 with 3 on the tree standard so I have 2 shifter arms to cear instead of 1. I think these headers might be a good place to start to remedy my clearance problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts