Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 galaxie and am looking to get the most out of the stock heads . What are your ideas? I will use it for a daily driver, do about forty miles highway driving a day, but still want the performance.
thanks for your imput

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 351w heads need alot of work on the exhaust ports, I am currently porting a set of 70' model heads. Concentrate on the exhaust ports and the bowls, that should make a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
116 Posts
While I have no personal experience with modifying 351 heads, I have looked into this for my 302. The 69 and 70 years are the most desirable (DOOE casting).

As stating earlier, portng the exhaust side is my most beneficial thing you can do. Porting and polishing the intake side can lso increase flow, but not as drastically as the exhaust.

You could also have the valve seats reconditioned to accept the larger chevy valves (1.94/1.60). This significantly increases flow.

Lastly. Yu can mill off 0.030 inches form the head to increase compression by decreasing the combustion chmaber size (64cc ot 58cc I think).

Be sure to double check push rod length and valve spring pressures. If you have a 302 block you will need a washer to accept the smaller head bolt.

If you do all that, they are probably the best flowing "stock" head you can get. Check the FM archives for details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On 2002-02-13 22:52, ron wrote:
I have a 70 galaxie and am looking to get the most out of the stock heads . What are your ideas? I will use it for a daily driver, do about forty miles highway driving a day, but still want the performance.
thanks for your imput
look at "porting"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts