Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping out the bench seat with high buckets from the same era in my '70 Sportsback. The seat was shipped taking apart to save on space while in shipping to me. I can't figure how to get them reassembled now. I can easy get one bracket over the dial, but have no luck on the other side. I have tried to place the back portion in every position with still no luck. I would appreciate any
helpful pointers.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This appears to be the same design that ford used on my 70 mustang. I have taken mine apart twice. As I remember 1) slide inside short bracket over the post. 2) the outside long bracket must be pulled out to get the post in the hole. there should be plastic covers that attach to the brackets. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just took the seat-back out of my 65's front bench. I think the process is reverse, Alan. In order to remove it, I had to slide the inside (shorter) post out of the bracket, which gave me enough slack to maneuver the outside (larger bracket) off of it's post. It took some effort. To install, I would think you need to put the outside (larger) post on first, then wiggle the seat into position that allows the inside (smaller) post to insert. Do the cotter pins after both are installed so you have wiggle room.

I'm sure either technique will work, but there isn't much flexibility in those brackets or the design, so it shouldn't be "easy" to get into position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both good suggestions. I will try this weekend, and see. Hopefully with a little elbow grease, and luck I can get them put back together. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I managed to get the seat back together again. It take a long screwdriver or even a tire tool to basically pull out on the side brackets arms while you slide them over the dial rod itself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's definitely a wresting act. I had to finagle the seatback to my front bench seat back in the other day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts