Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to site and I recently bought a 1970 Galaxie for a street rod. I just want to build a cool car whether or not it a show car or not. I will be updating this thread from time to time. I welcome all questions, suggestions and criticisms as well. An now the car. I picked this up on Craigslist for a very reasonable price. The car is a 1970 Galaxie 500 with the sport roof. It was a 351 2V car, but the original motor is gone and replaced with a 302.
I have no time tables or deadlines to meet. I just want to do the best job I can do with the limited tools and workspace I have.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,376 Posts
These are an easy car to play around with and make them look cool. When I bought mine, it looked like a wedding car in white. Now it gets the looks everywhere I drive it. :)

·
Premium Member
5,376 Posts
Get the right ride height that you like.
Get the wheels to suit your car.
In my case, I deleted most of the moldings. Painted the grill black. Painted the car to be a little different. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a link to interchangeable parts for the 1970 Ford Galaxie 500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks like a great project! I just picked up a 65 Galaxie a few months ago and have been working on it here and there. The body needs a bit of work and the interior is shot. But the frame, engine, transmission, rear end and 4-wheel disc conversion are all completed for now! Enjoy it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a great project! I just picked up a 65 Galaxie a few months ago and have been working on it here and there. The body needs a bit of work and the interior is shot. But the frame, engine, transmission, rear end and 4-wheel disc conversion are all completed for now! Enjoy it!
That is awesome, my interior has been redone. But my motor an trans are in need of some serious tlc. I have yet to find the casting number for the block. The motor is not original, and ive looked in the usual places, but no dice. The dipstick tube is missing, and we cannot find the opening for where it goes! The car has headers installed but the driver side is pinched between the motor and steering box. :( But its all just details. Thinking about once I get it running, taking it to a local truckstop here that will pressure wash the underside. I got more pics to post, so I will post them in a few from my phone

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I found this pic of these tail lights. I would imagine that they are a custom job. Anybody know what the 2 round lights are from? Id like to fabricate myself some just like them. Also, ive noticed that from browsing the internet, you hardly ever see any 69-70 models with a rear deck lid wing, I wonder why?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Found this number on the block at the back of the intake.

Could this be the missing dipstick hole capped with a plug of some kind?

A goodie I had left over from an old project I did several years ago. I think this will be nice mounted between the two bucket seats.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My current plan of attack

1. Go through all the junk inside the car an get rid of junk an trash, an clean the carpet.
2. Get the dipstick problem resolved, so I can check the oil and start to get the car drivable.
3. Remove the incorrect headers an get the proper headers for a 1970 Galaxie 500 (small block) installed an and mufflers hooked up.
4. Remove the hood an prime the rusty spots to hold me over until I can get the hood an both bumpers sandblasted.
5. Go through the front an back drum brakes to make sure they are solid.
6. Get car inspected so I can get a tag an insurance.

That should be enough to keep be busy for a while:grin2:

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a set of headers on Summit tonight that will fit a 1970 Fairlane and torino. Would these not fit a galaxie too? I was under the impression that these three cars are fairly similar in the engine bay and under side of the car?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive noticed that I am going to have a clearance problem with the current headers I have. Anyone have a suggestion of some that will fit? Shorties or full length don't really matter cause the exhaust system in the car is going to be replaced anyway. Also, the car currently has a 302, an even if I did upgrade the motor later, it would be to a 351W anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive noticed that I am going to have a clearance problem with the current headers I have. Anyone have a suggestion of some that will fit? Shorties or full length don't really matter cause the exhaust system in the car is going to be replaced anyway. Also, the car currently has a 302, an even if I did upgrade the motor later, it would be to a 351W anyway.

Clearance problem I'm dealing with

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am selling my 1970 LTD with a 351W recently rebuilt 10yrs ago but only probably 5-10,000 miles on the rebuild. Interior in pretty good too. If you were looking for a parts car (although it is complete and runs and drives $2,400)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
For headers I'd suggest Hooker 6901, or Flowtech 12100. I have the Flowtech's in my car, but only because the Hooker headers were not available when needed and the Flowtech's were. Don't expect any header to not need any tweaking. I've posted pictures of my header install in previous threads, so a search should take you to them for your reference.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

Found this number on the block at the back of the intake.

Could this be the missing dipstick hole capped with a plug of some kind?

A goodie I had left over from an old project I did several years ago. I think this will be nice mounted between the two bucket seats.

The number does appear to have the date code, so may not tell you the vintage of the engine. If you remove the valve covers you should be able to see the date codes on the heads.

The front sump small blocks should have the dip stick at the front in the timing cover. Later engines move the dip stick back along the passenger side for the rear sump pan. Hard to understand why someone would put together an engine without the an oil dip stick, unless it is just a bunch of old pieces slapped together to move something along.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The number does appear to have the date code, so may not tell you the vintage of the engine. If you remove the valve covers you should be able to see the date codes on the heads.

The front sump small blocks should have the dip stick at the front in the timing cover. Later engines move the dip stick back along the passenger side for the rear sump pan. Hard to understand why someone would put together an engine without the an oil dip stick, unless it is just a bunch of old pieces slapped together to move something along.
Beginning to think the same thing. I guess me an dad are going to remove the timing chain cover an drill us a dipstick hole ourselves. I would love to just get the car running so I can drive it around some just to see what it really needs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just picked up a autolight carb for $20,even if it turns out to be the 4300 series, that's an OK price for a carb that will work with my automatic transmission, and only needs a rebuild kit, wouldn't you say?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts