Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is one of my dream cars . I already own two THUNDERBIRD's and one is my (my dream car)SUPERCOUPE . But I want to own a KING COBRA .And sence I'm not gonna get a realistic chance to own the real thing...... I want a "FAKE" !! Can any one build the front end for a 70-72 Torino ?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I can't build it, but its a neat idea!

Keep posting if you canmake it happen!

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
HOLY CRAP THAT'S FUGLY!

Jeezus KeystalBall! You WANT one of these?

That's a little beyond what I'm able to fabricate... Good luck bro!

FE

·
Registered
672 Posts
I could do it, but the cost would make your head spin.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
They made 2. Problem was they're not as aerodynamic as they look. That's the reason on the GT40s the opening in the hood for the air to flow thru and push it down in the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well at some point I hope to be able to offer a King Cobra front end for sale. Honestly, I expect it will be a few years... but I bought a set of front end molds used in the resto of one of the cars. I have one front end out of the molds on my car now.

I also cannot say how much one will cost. much depends on the person/company I get to make up the front ends.

I want to sort out any issues with my car before I start selling them .

Has not changed much in about 2 years though.....
Godspeed,
JON

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like it... but what do I know, I'm just a Mopar guy looking to expand my Aero Car collection with some Ford Aero Cars. I hope the conversion kits are made... let me know if they are!

XS

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
I like it... but what do I know, I'm just a Mopar guy looking to expand my Aero Car collection with some Ford Aero Cars. I hope the conversion kits are made... let me know if they are!

XS
Oh yeah, your the one the other day looking for a torino talledega. Man you must have some $$$ to burn ;) I sent you a link of a very clean Talledega here for 24K, thats not bad for a collector car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh yeah, your the one the other day looking for a torino talledega. Man you must have some $$$ to burn ;) I sent you a link of a very clean Talledega here for 24K, thats not bad for a collector car!
Thanks for the link, but I had already looked at the car a week ago before I posted. I posted to try to determine what a fair market value for that car was. The owner has it advertised at both $34,500 & $32,500 in different locations, and says he believes it is between a #2 & #3 condition, but I believe it is much closer to a solid #3 condition. The owner seems like a very nice guy, but I believe he has the car over-priced in today's receding musclecar market... and I believe the musclecar values will erode a bit more.

To be a #1 condition car, the Talladega would need a complete restoration costing $35,000 & up IMO. If someone paid the asking price, the total investment would be about $70,000 which is well above the #1 condition value of $47K to $50K. A better approach would be to restore to a #2 condition with an investment of about $15,000... that would still leave you "up-side down" on value, but make the Talladega a great car!

The Talladega shows wear typical of a 10 year old car, great condition considering it is 39 years old. But the paint is definitely due for a red-do,
and many other items show some wear as well. I will probably make an offer on the car, and want it to be a fair offer that I can document my research on. I am an enthusiast, not an investor... so don't mind getting into the car a little "up-side down", but can't afford to go too far into the hole on it.

BTW, thanks for posting the link... PM me if you find more for sale. And, no I don't have $$$ to burn... I will be selling a Mopar to buy the Talladega. ;)

XS

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thats cool. Did you see it in person? it looked to be in decent shape, but pictures can hide alot! I figured it was in original condition...without a restore it was worth some. If thats the case dont restore it all. Just keep her runnin, keep it clean and drive it. It will be worth more in the end and you dont have to sink $$ into it to do the restore. I know they guy has had it for a sale for quite a while, that says something too.

BTW....Im a true ford guy at heart, but I had the $$ I always wanted a challenger or charger, one of the best looking cars of the era, IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I spent about an hour looking at the Talladega, the owner lives about a 30 minute drive from me. The condition is in that area between not quite a survivor & not quite needing restoration. It will definitely need a repaint, or continuing partial repaints. There are several pitted rust spots that have been painted over without repair, including several long lines at the edges of the rear window. I does not appear that there are rust holes that were repaired, but it is hard to tell. There are other issues like a series of roof metal creases along the front of the roof, like maybe heavy objects had been stored on the car at some time in the past. Overall, solid looking car though...

How long has the Talladega been for sale?

Attached is a picture of my triple black 1968 Charger R/T that my "xs29j8" forum name is derived from. The VIN starts with XS29J8...

Sorry for straying so far off topic...

XS

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Which came first, the Datsun Z car or the King Cobra? Different but kind of fugly. Just find one of those Austrailian front ends like on Mad Max. Different but cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jon,
Wow, this thread is a trip down memeory lane for me!
That mold is probably the one we had made back in the early 90's. My friend Steve and I bought and restored the original Prototype King Cobra Torino. Found it in a junkyard in South Carolina. I probably still have some pictures of the restoration if you need some references. If I'm not mistaken the Orange car we restored is in Rhode island or Massachusetts. The yellow car and the Mercury are not legit cars. They were put together with some parts from Holman and Moody. Bud Moore still has the other original car. I still have the invoice from Ford To Bud Moore Racing. It has the VIN from his car listed nad the engineering number from the prototype listed. ( the prototype car did not have a valid VIN, the vin tag was stamped with the engineering number, the last 5 didgits were 0058-3) Everything in that car had those numbers on it. Leaf springs, door panels, radio, dash cluster..... The headlight doors were made by a fiberglass guy here in Connecticut from a mold we made. It took a year, full time to bring that car back from the condition we bought it in. Shoot me an e-mail if you need some reference pics and I'll see what I have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be selling my King Cobra shortly. It is an original Ford nose on a low mileage 429CJ. It is still in the project stage, but ready to re assemble. Motor pro built, trans rebuilt, diff rebuilt, has 391 t lock, painted counter revolutionary red (the cars original color) black interior, console/buckets/140 speedo/rare intake/has custom light covers/Dixco hood tach. I will have a low reserve and plan to put it on ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts