Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1970 Ford Mayfly.

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  CaptVirgilHilts 
#1 ·
Someone emailed me today telling me that my 1970 Galaxie 500 Sportsroof is in actual fact a rare 1970 Ford Mayfly. What the?

So I did a Google search and found that it was brought up on these forums back on 2005. This is the only evidence I can find of such a vehicle.
1970 Ford MayFly Rare - Beebes Motors

Does anyone have any real information? Or do we need to contact the guys at Mythbusters?

#2 ·
I won't say Ford never made a "Mayfly", but I can only find one individual beating the bushes on a dozen sites, and quite a few ads from 'different' persons but from the same area in Michigan. Let us know if you find anything solid, but it sounds suspiciously like a couple others I've seen that were trying to create a model or rumor of one to increase the value of their standard version. Besides, it's hard to visually put Mayfly and Galaxie together. Maybe Mayfly and a 6-cyl Maverick... LOL

David

PS: Why did he think yours was specifically a 'Mayfly'?

#8 · (Edited)
PS: Why did he think yours was specifically a 'Mayfly'?
I'm not on my home computer, but all he said was something like......
"Your car is not a 1970 Galaxie 500 Sportsroof. It is a rare 1970 Ford Mayfly marketed by Ford Australia. JFYI".

Well that is a lot of crap, because I know Ford Aust never sold such a thing, and I have paper work which tells me where it was sold and who it was sold to. From memory was Samuel E Brown at Washington AFB. So I KNOW it wasn't sold new in Australia.

#12 ·
Mayfly is a Canadian name. I'm pretty sure of it.

It's also a good fly to use for trout!

It's ALSO appears to be a fairly ordinary looking Car.... Nothing special about a red bench seat auto 1970 Galaxie.

I doubt it's a Canadian model specifically probably just spring time promo that trimmed up a lower trimmed Galaxie. Mercury did it with the Cougar adding some rocker moldings consoles etc. Mustang had a Springtime Special in 67 where the cars were painted springtime yellow and dressed up a bit. Just a "package" not a model in and of itself. then there were regional packages like the Torino N/W etc and the High Country Mustangs too. Also local dealers dressed up cars too.

#4 ·
"Mayfly" might be a term used for a special promotion or something maybe? Instead of cloth seats it had vinyl or something of that nature. Like Tbirdchicks '64, it was a "white sale special" The hubcaps were different and something to do with the seat material, cloth instead of vinyl or a combo of both and no carpet, something like that. I can't remember now if that was a dealer thing or what now.

There used to be a thing on lovefords for it but now the page is gone. Searching the forum i found a little paragraph on a '66 white sale special though. You can download the brochure.
LOVEfords - 1966 Ford White Sale Special

Somewhere i have a pic of the '64, not sure on the email about it though.

#6 ·
There used to be a thing on lovefords for it but now the page is gone. Searching the forum i found a little paragraph on a '66 white sale special though. You can download the brochure.
LOVEfords - 1966 Ford White Sale Special
John is rebuilding the site and has temporarily taken a lot of content off-line. May be awhile before it's all back up, but it will be eventually.

#10 ·
If it ever existed, I reckon it might have been a dealer option, where all they did was highlighted the trim with red paint.
Or maybe Beebes decided to invent this car recently to sell it. :)

#15 ·
Oh come on Boss man, you Mounties up there got queer names for EVERYTHING.... Please explain FRONTENAC if you don't believe me :) :):) :) :D :D :D
Same explanation for Cadillac, Lasalle an especially Detroit. If us Brit's hadn't kicked Montcalm's A$$ at the Plains of Abraham in Quebec you might be Parlez vous'ing francais, oui?:D Most of this continent was called New France and the names have remained, many as car names and city names. American history started way before 1776;)

List of U.S. place names of French origin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

haha Montcalm is a car name too!

#14 ·
This is the third Mayfly I have seen. I saw a 1966 Mayfly in Montreal about 10 years ago, and for some time there was the remains of one in a wrecking yard here.

From what I remember, the one in Montreal was basically a Custom series model with buckets and a console and floor shift. The one here in the wrecking yard had no engine and just a bit of the interior. All of them were white with red accents and red interior. None of the cars said Galaxie or Custom or anything other than just "Ford" on them. The Canadian one, and the one here in the junkyard had a small decal on the trunk and each rear quarter. It looked like a fly or something. I see the one for sale in Michigan does not have any decals.

I suspect this was just a sales special where a cheap level car where they put on some decals, buckets, console and perhaps a bigger carb or something to grab a few more sales. Sort of like what Ford did with the Mustang Sprint; a dolled up six. I would bet that this car is a Galaxie sportsroof with a Custom series interior and features.

If I recall correctly, didn't Plymouth around this same time offer some budget, stripped down muscle car? I think it was the Road Runner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.