Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 70 mach 1 motor a few years back with the intentions of rebuilding it but things didnt pan out. It was connected to the original trans. I thought that the mach 1's came with the c4 trans but this one is a lot bigger and wider/heavier than the c4 that I have. The guy I bought it off of stated that the trans is a more rare trans than what you would generally see. Me not knowing a thing about them was just wondering if this trans is a c6 and if they came stock in the 70 mach 1's. I have no use for it but was wondering if it would be worth while to list it. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm thinking it would be C4, FMX, or C6. None of which are rare. Small block C6 is less common than the others.

C4, aluminum case, removable aluminum bell. There are 2 different bellhousing sizes/styles.
FMX, Iron case, removable aluminum bell.
C6, One piece aluminum case and bell.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It should be an FMX and it doesn't have much value. I have given away a few over the years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I will consider it to be the fmx and will unbolt the bellhousing,keep that and trash the rest as I dont need. Merry christmas to all.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hang on!!!

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I will consider it to be the fmx and will unbolt the bellhousing,keep that and trash the rest as I dont need. Merry christmas to all.
Don't throw away the shifter linkage. It's unique to 70 so it's worth something to the Mustang (and Cougar!!) guys out there. It takes a few minutes to get it out.
I'd be interested in the valve body and shifter linkage. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Hang on!!!

NO DO NOT trash that fmx! these are tough and make great trannys for a heavy cruiser! ran one for many years behind a 289 in a 41 plymouth 2 door sedan that saw MUCH street use as well as a bunch of drag strip passes. never gave any problems and i wish i had that engine and trans back! if nothing else give it away to someone who can use it. great karma you know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts