Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1970 Maverick,

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bmcd66250 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the build. What is your guestimated HP or comments and suggestions. Its a work in progress. Here it is. My 1970 Ford Maverick - YouTube
1978 302 block
.030 bore
Patriot Freedom Heads= (JUNK) (Will comment later if ya wish) <-- Rebuilt
Technical Specs:
Combustion Chamber: 60cc
Intake Runner: 185cc
Exhaust Runner: 70cc
Intake Valve: 2.02'' Ferrea
Exhaust Valve: 1.60'' Ferrea
Dual plane air gap intake
Holley street avenger 670 carb
Comp roller rockers
KB Hyper pistons
Elgin .Lift: .497/.520. -300 to 310 duration, 112 degrees LS
ARP Lower end
ARP Upper end
TCI C-4 Streetfighter
Hooker 6901 3" exhaust with 40 series flowmasters.

See less See more
#3 ·
Please do explain on yer junk heads.... And the reason for Hottarods low WAG is there are still to many unknowns to your build. I woulda guessed a tad higher but not by much... :)

#5 ·
Lol, ok on the heads, they came preassembled with chinese junk. It was idling in the front yard one day, and a keeper popped off a valve, shaved a cam lobe, and just generally had a piss party in my motor. The valve in question was not machined correctly on the stem groove. To the other questions It has KB hyper flat tops, A TCI streetfighter c-4, with a 2800 stall. Will be going in with a Ford 9 in. soon. The car is not meant to be a Full race car anyway, The random trip to the 1/8th mile track here. but mostly daily driver.
Also didn't mention on the specs the cam has a 310 duration.

#7 ·
Lol thanks FE, I love the car, not because of its past, but simply because it was the first car I ever owned and drove. Sentimental if ya will. Anyway Thanks for the replies. No more cutting corners for me, I learned my lesson about buying parts that are cheaper. Quality all the way.

#12 ·
I love the Mavericks too. My first car was a 1970 Maverick grabber in grabber blue. I wish I still had it.
That describes mine. January will make 40 years that I've owned it.

#9 ·
I guess around 300 to 325hp... I think with that amount of power in a light car(2500 lbs) It will move pretty good when ya want it to. Don't really know about an ET. I know 12 secs is as hard to hit as the speed of sound on a jet per say. In other words its a feat within itself, lol but im not gonna be running 12 sec 1/4's. We have a 1/8 mile track here, that I may run a few times just for the fun of it.

#10 ·
I ran 13.31 best with ported early 302 heads(shaved to 55 cc's), Performer RPM cam, RPM intake and 600 vacuum secondary carb, 4.10 gears, 3000 stall, tri-y headers, 8 1/2" slicks. My car had not been gutted so with me and fuel my weigh in was around 2950. .030 over 289.

#11 ·
set a goal first then build/change from there.

if your just looking for 12,s then the engine setup is probably close.

drag radials,gear in the rear and a good converter and you should be there.i am sure probably needs some tuning carb wise and timing curve and so forth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.