Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need assistance from the torino experts. I'm going to tackle a wiring project and i'm curious to know how easy or difficult it is to remove the dashpad and surrounding parts. Are there ant hidden screws to worry about or glued down pieces i should know about? The underside of my dash is a wiring spaghetti mess from one of the previous owners and its bothering me for the last time. Any info on this or secrets you all would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I need assistance from the torino experts. I'm going to tackle a wiring project and i'm curious to know how easy or difficult it is to remove the dashpad and surrounding parts. Are there ant hidden screws to worry about or glued down pieces i should know about? The underside of my dash is a wiring spaghetti mess from one of the previous owners and its bothering me for the last time. Any info on this or secrets you all would like to share would be greatly appreciated.
Please take pictures cuz I'm gonna be on that same path soon. I'll send you some diagrams later.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure i wouldn't mind taking pictures. I'm just waiting to see what others say about the dash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a few screws above the speedometer under the pad, and about 5 or 6 under the pad just above where pad meets metal dash, just above radio and a c ducts,,,,Once you remove all screws (making sure not to lose clips) slightly pull up on pad, and pull towards you, There is 3 or 4 clips near windshield that you have to pull pad out of. you might have to replace those clips, mine broke. i have a 71 gt and mine came out in 10 min.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm hoping this might help. PM your email address and I'll send directly if you want.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like i have a great weekend project coming up :) I'll be sure to take pictures for anyone interested in this and for future reference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So following my original project from a couple weeks ago i have some pictures of the dash patially disassembled dash. There's alot of extra wire underneath i plan to remove and make the exixting wiring look more presentable. A rubber line coming from that white container is going nowhere as you can see my fingers holding it up in the forth picture. I'm not sure what the little block is next to my fuse block. I'll continue this project this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty good. I got the peace of mind i was looking for by removing the excess wiring. Turns out my trans temp and voltage guages werent even hooked up to anything which is a bit annoying but means i get a chance to do it right. i still need to wire up my speakers to the radio since im trying to find the connector that plugs in to the three plug connector on the back of the radio.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So makin any progress here? Did the dash pad come out without damage? I'd love to remove the dash and go at it but havent drove mine in so long I need some run time to get my motivation back up. I really recommend the electric contact grease for all the connectors and bulbs. It's really making mine work better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it being a 40 year old piece the dashpad cracked in a couple places from me trying to muscle it out of place. Other than some of the clips breaking from removal it was a simple project. Ordered new dashpad clips from dearbornclassics and pushed it back in with minimal cracks. Duke i'd say if you were to do some work under the dash go ahead, the cluster comes out no problem and all the wires and connections are in plain sight and easy to work on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey yea I know it's like what almost 10 years later but I had some questions about lower dash removal and wiring if anyone is still active on this thing? Please message me I'm 18 and trying to restore it and it's a complete mess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts