Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just joined the site and I'm looking for some information or direction on resources for parts and production info.

This weekend a friend and I picked up a 1970 XL Convertible. It has 77,000 miles and has been in a dry garage since 1978. We are trying to find out as much as we can about this car. Sorry, we are both GM guys but this car just screamed resto and needed to be saved. I don't have any pics to post yet.

Here are the specs.

Light Green, black top
body side molding
Black interior
Buckets, console
390 2 barrel
Power disc

So far I've done some checking but I think we stumbled on a pretty rare car. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Fairly rare. No "hot rod" with a 390/2v; nice cruising car.

What would you like to know?

Wasn't the light green called "lime gold" or something similar?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, not a hot rod. Just a cool car.

I really want to find out how many convertibles came with the 390, the buckets and console etc.

I read somewhere else that only 737 convertible XL's were made in 70?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I think you might find all 70 XL's rare, especially when looking for parts. ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to get some pictures soon.

I agree on the parts, don't seem to be alot around. Is there any aftermarket parts. Things needed are hood emblem is broke in half, front driver marker light and it's missing the passenger door side molding.

Otherwise, it is virtually unmolested. The license plates are still on the car with the last sticker from 78.

I checked into that marti report, looks like a great service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some quick pics from the phone, couldn't get the interior shot to work with the lighting. Anyway, you can see like I said this car is unmolested.

Check the plate in the last pic.

The car started and ran great. Brakes need work next.

Take a look at the woodgrain dash, that flaked off during cleaning. Does anyone know a good source that restores these dashes?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
That green was a popular colour. My parts car is that colour.

Some places for resto parts: Dearborn Classics; Auto Krafters; Dennis Carpenter; Concours Parts; Macs Autoparts; Blueoval6079.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here are some quick pics from the phone, couldn't get the interior shot to work with the lighting. Anyway, you can see like I said this car is unmolested.

Check the plate in the last pic.

The car started and ran great. Brakes need work next.

Take a look at the woodgrain dash, that flaked off during cleaning. Does anyone know a good source that restores these dashes?
I've got a black version with bench seats, but otherwise they're the same. It's a great, huge, car that isn't very popular and a pain to source parts for compared to earlier Galaxies. Noone makes sheet metal for it, other than a few fenders, and good luck with any interior parts. It's a super easy car to work on, otherwise. You'll never find long tubes for it, noone has bothered to fabricate a set as the convertible had a slightly different setup according to the guys I've talked to. I've never heard of anyone specializing in dash work on these, but any normal dash restoration joint will work on it as they're all similar in the end. You can get a replacement cluster piece to replace the wood that came off, they're on ebay routinely.

Could you take some more photos of the interior, trunk, and engine bay for me? I'd like to compare your car to mine.

And I've got some extra parts lying around if you need anything, specifically two AM radios and a few other small things like a rear bumper good for a core and two air cleaners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try to get some more pics.

Finding some parts. Picked up a new front bumper, side marker light and grill from a southern scrapyard, found a hubcap center.

I just can't find the XL emblem for the hood...Hint..Hint...anyone????

Otherwise, engine runs great now. Should be on the road in a week or so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will try to get some more pics.

Finding some parts. Picked up a new front bumper, side marker light and grill from a southern scrapyard, found a hubcap center.

I just can't find the XL emblem for the hood...Hint..Hint...anyone????

Otherwise, engine runs great now. Should be on the road in a week or so.
Man, if you EVER find those XL letters for the hood let me know. I've been looking for two years now and have never found a set anywhere. The XL emblem for the '69 is easy to find, but the letters for the '70 apparently don't exist. They're the last thing I'm looking for, other than the front bumper, that I just can't find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man, if you EVER find those XL letters for the hood let me know. I've been looking for two years now and have never found a set anywhere. The XL emblem for the '69 is easy to find, but the letters for the '70 apparently don't exist. They're the last thing I'm looking for, other than the front bumper, that I just can't find.
Just wondering, what you would want to pay for them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wondering, what you would want to pay for them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just about any info you might need contact me at ehartman13 at comcast dot net. Been around this car from 1970 and have stripped one down to every nut, screw, bolt. Was restoring my Mom's car with a Calif. body (live in Michigan) and have the photos to prove it.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Mine was originally that color as well...hideous! Lol
I have a 2dr hardtop fast back that I've made into an XL clone. Emblems are very hard to find for these and when they do come up, can be spendy. I just recently found the XL letters on ebay and grabbed them. They came with the two roof pillar emblems and the trunk lock cover. I paid $120.00 for everything, but I have seen the letters alone go for $150! Check ebay DAILY. There is always someone selling either used parts or NOS parts. The problem with the hood letters, is they were glued on, so a lot of them fell off over time, or the car washes ate them. Same for the trunk lock covers. There is a small tab that keeps it centered over the lock, but it tends to break off when you pull the key out and let it slam down. Then the cover goes past center and snaps the tiny nubs for the spring, which also holds the outer cover in place, and then it's bouncing down the road behind you! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts