Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate to find a 9" rear which will bolt in as a direct replacement for the WER unit which is originally installed in my 70 XL. Appearently it came out of a 70 LTD which the initial the story was it was from a 70 XL convertible. Maybe it was a 69. I don't know. I assume it will fit since Joe is something of a collector and technically proficcient. Do you think it is right? I mean is an XL a LTD, and is the LTD a Galaxie, and is the Galaxie an XL? I don't know a real lot about the body styles. It's a little more complicated than the F body. It should just bolt right in with no welding or facrication and is like a 20 minute job. Well, maybe not 20 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ykubJKk3E

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I know as far as the '67 model year, a galaxie was the general car model. The XL and LTD were trim options, formal roof, buckets seats and the like. I believe it should bolt right in without any issues. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but it wasn't until the mid-70's that the LTD was differentiated by a different chassis and body style.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Is it a better gear ratio for what you want than the original rear? All the full size cars are Galaxies, so fit should not be an issue. Good time to replace all the control arm bushings too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a better gear ratio for what you want than the original rear? All the full size cars are Galaxies, so fit should not be an issue. Good time to replace all the control arm bushings too.
Tag on the 9" reads 2L75 or something, but he was charging $150 until he discovered that it is actually a "locker", whatever that means. It's like 2.75:1 which the WER's the same.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
It means it is a locking differential and will put power to where it needs to be to get you going. 2.75 gear isn't too bad. My XL is a 275 but open instead of locking. It runs well.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Should fit no problem, if its a locker that is super! I would think a locker would have been a pretty rare deal with 2.75 gears in a 70 but I guess people ordered them that way. If you gave $250 and its a Locker thats a heck of deal.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
It'll fit!
I've got a '71 LTD 3.25 rear in mine which replaced my 2.75 WER.

I doubt very much that the 2.75 will be a locker though. Don't think it is just because the tag says 2L75. The L does not mean locker.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I doubt very much that the 2.75 will be a locker though. Don't think it is just because the tag says 2L75. The L does not mean locker.
:confused:

...maybe you had better stick to DELCO-MORON BRAKING SYSTEMS)...

The L does identify a factory limited slip assembly (type to be determined). Now whether it is still a limited slip needs to be determined.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
If it is he same ratio as the WER why change it? For regular street use there should not be anything wrong with the 8.75" ring gear vs. the 9".

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
The L might ID it as a limited slip diff or Traction Lock as Ford called it, but not a Detroit Locker. As far as I know and seen, the Detroit Lockers had the nodular iron carrier marked with a big N.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is he same ratio as the WER why change it? For regular street use there should not be anything wrong with the 8.75" ring gear vs. the 9".
Regarding this being the same ratio, it was my intention to change the gear ratio on the 9" to 3.5 or 4.10. But recently I just read on JEGS website something I can't understand:

9 Inch Ford Rear Axles
How to recognize 9" Ford housing centers

• 57 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug
  • 58-59 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes
  • 60-67 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover
  • 63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential. Strong, but no gear options.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What does it mean? The rear is actually useless if I can't switch the gears or center section. Anyone know what I can actually do?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
CONTINUING OLD WIVES TALES ON FMF

The L might ID it as a limited slip diff or Traction Lock as Ford called it, but not a Detroit Locker. As far as I know and seen, the Detroit Lockers had the nodular iron carrier marked with a big N.
The L positively identifies the rear end (per factory assembly). It may be EQUA-LOC, TRACTION-LOC or Detroit Locker. The N case does not positively ID the locker type.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Regarding this being the same ratio, it was my intention to change the gear ratio on the 9" to 3.5 or 4.10. But recently I just read on JEGS website something I can't understand:

9 Inch Ford Rear Axles

• 57 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug
  • 58-59 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes
  • 63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential. Strong, but no gear options.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What does it mean? The rear is actually useless if I can't switch the gears or center section. Anyone know what I can actually do?
The 9" rear was offered by FORD from the 1957 production run until final phase-out in the 1985 model run. What that chart is showing is how to identify rear end housings by year (like looking at one under a car or looking at a take-out).

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

9 Inch Ford Rear Axles

You should be able to change the gear ratio in any type of rear differential. The Ford 9" does make it easier by having the removable center section and probably a much wider selection and sources of gears and lockers. :tup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You should be able to change the gear ratio in any type of rear differential. The Ford 9" does make it easier by having the removable center section and probably a much wider selection and sources of gears and lockers. :tup:
"Should" be able to change the gears is what's key here. In that bit from JEGS it says, and I quote:

63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential. Strong, but no gear options.

My car is an 1970 XL (XL, Galaxie, LTD) and "LTD" says something there. It says no gear oprions.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
"Should" be able to change the gears is what's key here. In that bit from JEGS it says, and I quote:

63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential. Strong, but no gear options.

My car is an 1970 XL (XL, Galaxie, LTD) and "LTD" says something there. It says no gear oprions.
Yeah, you want the 9", not the 9 3/8" ring gear. You may be able to put a 9" center section into a housing that was originally a 9 3/8", but you'd need the whole third member, if the housings are the same.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, you want the 9", not the 9 3/8" ring gear. You may be able to put a 9" center section into a housing that was originally a 9 3/8", but you'd need the whole third member, if the housings are the same.
I sort of missed where it says "9 3/8" not 9". So........it looks to me I bought a 9", not a 9 3/8. Here is link to some quick info:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/nineinch/index2.shtml

9 3/8 here is also called 9 1/2. Thanks for helping on that. I also want to take a few fresh, clear photos and upload them to be sure.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
+1. The pictures also positively identify it as a 9" (not 9-3/8") C7 single-rib gear case (third member). The tag is probably correct for the gears and limited-slip inside, but I caution not to trust 40+ years of history until you actually verify the parts inside.

David

1 - 20 of 27 Posts