Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have a quick question. I bought a 1968 f100 the other day that the previous owner had taken the inline six and replaced it with a 1971 mustang 302,c4 and posi-rear. The truck motor is beat but still has enough power to roast them a little.

MY question is regarding the next step. I'm not sure if it is actually a mustang motor.

1. I am unable to get the block number because the motor is in the truck and I don't want to remove the starter so I'm loosely going off of the following numbers.

Intake manifold- D1OE-9425-AA (I thought "O" stood for Torino)
Head Number- 1F30 with the letter "B" above.

2. Could a mustang from 1971 have the same codes?

3. It is an original engine and has never been open and is using a quart of oil per fill up so i'm assuming the valve seals need to be replace. From what I understand the heads are pretty good flowing heads so would GT40P heads be a better head or should I stick with ported stock with a valve job and new seals?

4. Any other suggestions on the engine? Cam, lifters, I want a street truck with good low end torque and low end HP something that will be driveable but nasty as well. I have a edelbrock 2121 performer and a 1406 to go on top when I get that far.

Thanks Guys

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
a quart per tank of gas seems like a lot for just valve seals, if its never been opened up I'd say when you do you'll find it needs bored, can't give you any info on heads or intake.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
You're correct. D1OE is fairlane but is also correct for 71 mustang as well.

1F30 is decoded as the 30th of June 71.

As stated by Shelly, i agree that's a lot of oil for a tank of gas.
Does it smoke?

For a truck with that carb/intake I would certainly keep it conservative with a torque cam with a duration figure of 218-220 @.050 and a lift of @ .500 Just my .02 worth...John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

As far as the smoking no but when I took off the valve covers there was alot of oil on the rockers and in the bottom of the heads. Also It was leaking pretty bad around the timing cover.

Im sure it needs to be bored over and so forth definatley needs a rebuild. It is rust free so I plan on restoring it and taking out the motor soon.

Should I keep the 1971 302 in it or put in my 1969 351W in it both need to be rebuilt. My 400hp/500ftlb (460) is going in my 46 ford im building. To many projects not enough money but im sure everyone here can sympathize haha:)

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I would go with the 351 in the truck - especially if you are going to use it as a truck. If it is just for show then either engine will work but trucks are heavy and the bigger engine will perform better if it is built to the same level of modification.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts