Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 71 f100 2X4, local truck, 1 owner, unmodified and unrestored original, pretty cool truck thats part of the history of the town where I live. Anyway I think its in really good shape for its age however, its got a slight rod or main bearing knock. I'm wondering if its really hard on the engine to run it with a little knock in it? I was thinking about changing the rod and main bearings in it but wondering if I can do this with the engine still in the truck. Has anybody ever done this before? Any tips? Any information would be appreciated. THANKS!

·
Registered
189 Posts
the little knock won't stay little for long, and then you end up with an inspection hole in the block. and yes you can change them in the truck, but it won't take long to pull it, and besides, if its been run very long with that rapping sound, the crank needs truned, and the rods trued.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Agreed - those little knocks grow exponentially. You best bet is likely a re-ring kit, that has the gaskets, rod & main bearings, and of course, rings. Cheaper that way at about $100 for quality parts and keep the rings for later. Complete overhaul kits with pistons are cheap at about $200 since that engine was made from 1965 to 1985 in various versions. Even some of the internals are the same as the 302 and makes them cheaper.

Given the situation, I would also pull it and check it all out, as the new bearings tend to be a temporary fix. Both because the rods and crank likely need attention, and also that other stuff is probably on it's way out as well.

David

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
darn...ok, not the news I was hoping to hear, however, I want to keep the truck so fixing it right is the way to go. I was hoping to baby it along...but oh well...I have a weekend project!! haha

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Well, the other option is to drive it 'til it dies, and in the meantime, look for a complete engine to pop in there. If you're looking at a whole engine rebuild sometime soon, then maybe searching for a good deal on the end goal is a possibility, rather than spending more money overall just milking it with smaller fixes.

An example is a local Mustanger, that rebuilt his engine really nicely. 300 miles later he was T-boned and parted the car. The engine and tranny went together for $500, just a fraction of what he had in it. Deals are out there for the patient and persistent.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts