Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, I am not sure if this thread can be considered "Making Progress" because I dont seem to be putting things together, only taking them apart LOL

The truck is at the bodyshop, motor is out, and cab fenders, doors, etc are all sandblasted and being painted.

I decided to reseal the motor which turned into a rebuild, which turned into a stroker LOL

I was mistaken which cam I put into the truck in the late 80s, early 90s, but after disassembly, here is what I had. Keep in mind it was 20 years ago!

OLD
- 390 + .030
- 8:1 compression, .130 below deck!!!!!!! Darn cheap builder pistons :)
- Unported heads D2TE-AA heads, 2.03/1.57 stock valves, 2 piece retainers and springs at 70lbs closed/200 open
- 270H cam
- Unported Edelbrock Street Dominator
- 750 Holley
- Hedman Headers
- Recurved Duraspark

The new build will be a combination of old and new and should make a heck of a difference

NEW
- Same block, .040 overbore, torque plate honed, square decked .015 cut
- 418 cid with internally balanced SCAT 3.98 crank, for 9.97:1 compression, .010 deck clearance
- Well ported D2TE-AA heads, med riser intake dimensions, 2.09/1.66 undercut stem valves, light retainers, 110 closed, 280 open, Viton positive located valve seals
- Heavily worked Edelbrock RPM intake (off my 489 from its pre-EFI days)
-750 Holley (although I may try my 1000 HP series vac sec)
- Same 270H cam (with the head and intake work, should keep the range where I want it, but admittedly its a bit small) Should peak at 5200 perfect for the 4x4
- Hedman Headers
- Duraspark

The truck should be pretty strong, simulators all say 425-440 hp, I expect closer to 400, but regardless, with the added compression, cubes and airflow it should be MUCH stronger

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
With all good projects, I couldn't leave well enough alone. Going BIGGER! :tup:
Here is a recap

OLD

- 390 + .030
- 8:1 compression, .130 below deck!!!!!!! Darn cheap builder pistons :)
- Unported heads D2TE-AA heads, 2.03/1.57 stock valves, 2 piece retainers and springs at 70lbs closed/200 open
- 270H cam
- Unported Edelbrock Street Dominator
- 750 Holley
- Hedman Headers
- Recurved Duraspark

EA3.0 says 353 hp at 4500 / 423 ft lb at 4000
(Optimistic, but good to compare each option)

VERSION 1 (cast away for lack of cubes LOL)

- Same block, .030 overbore, torque plate honed, square decked .015 cut
- 418 cid with internally balanced SCAT 3.98 crank, for 9.97:1 compression, .010 deck clearance
- Well ported D2TE-AA heads, med riser intake dimensions, 2.09/1.66 undercut stem valves, light retainers, 110 closed, 280 open, Viton positive located valve seals
-750 Holley (although I may try my 1000 HP series vac sec)
- Same 270H cam (with the head and intake work, should keep the range where I want it, but admittedly its a bit small) Should peak at 5200 perfect for the 4x4
- Hedman Headers
- Duraspark

EA3.0 says 436 hp at 5100 / 488 ft lb at 4000
(+83 hp / +65 ft lb over original 397)

NEW PLAN (All parts are prepped and I will bring for balancing, just waiting on new harmonic balancer)

- Same block, .030 overbore, torque plate honed, square decked .015 cut
- 445 cid with internally balanced SCAT 4.25 crank, for 9.97:1 compression, .010 deck clearance
- Probe forged pistons (nice and light)
- Reciprocating weight down 4.4 lbs and rotating weight down 4 lbs over stock 390!!!
- Well ported D2TE-AA heads, med riser intake dimensions, 2.09/1.66 undercut stem valves, light retainers, 110 closed, 280 open, Viton positive located valve seals, Precision oil pumps rocker end stands
-750 Holley (1000 HP series vac sec more likely now)
- Same 270H cam (admittedly its a bit small, but I will crank it back to 110 ICL to let it hang in a bit longer) Should peak at 5000-5200 depending on how well the heads flow, perfect for the 4x4
- Hedman Headers
- Duraspark

EA3.0 says 470 hp at 5000 / 530 ft lb at 4000 :tup:
(+117 hp / +107 ft lb over original 397)

Of course the numbers look great, and ARE optimistic for every one of the builds, but the difference from one to another should be closer.

Sold all the 416 goodies pretty quick, hoping to get this one on a dyno and see how it does compared to the guessers

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Very nice! This is my first time checking in on this thread. If this is what you do for an old farm truck, I'd love to see your Mustang! So are you actually in Omaha? Skimmed thru the previous pages and saw something about moving on the right coast.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks for the good words

Started in Omaha in 1995 when the USAF brought me here
2002 moved to Vegas
2005 moved to Virginia
2008 moved to DC
2009 back to Omaha (At least we knew our way around!)

Got at least a year longer here, if not two, then who knows...maybe turn around and do the same in reverse LOL

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Some pretty pics

Cab has not been cut and buffed yet, the last shot has :) I had some time today so all the bolt on parts are finished and waiting in the attic. (BTW Mrs Stang saw this pic by phone and asked if the parts were in our bedroom LOL, close, attic off the walk in closet)

It's looking very pretty, and should look even better with a fresh 445 under the hood!

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Now to switch gears a bit, I wanted to post pictures of my truck heads, these are going on the new 445

This is the first time I had Les Schmader port for me, and I have to say I am pretty impressed

Not only because of decent numbers and nice work, but also because I gave him a list of things I wanted and he met it to the letter

The heads are D2TE-AA and I needed the exhaust port to stay the same height and width for my headers.

So I asked for a full port, 2.09/1.67 valves, new guides, machine for Viton seals, gasket match to 1247, but more than that, I wanted the port to copy a med riser port with a nice steady taper to the bowl. I also had him unshroud the intake valves a bit, and do the best he could without changing the exhaust port size.

The numbers are decent, they flow well above a box stock set of Edels or CJ iron heads, and should work very well on my 445 truck motor.

Lift Int Exh
.200 167 122
.300 217 166
.400 264 180
.500 273 182
.600 277 184
.700 277 186

It's no race motor, but should be a fun set of heads on a 10:1 445 with a 750, 1 inch spacer, a ported RPM and a 270H cam on 110 ICL

Here is an intake port and a chamber, I can't get a proper exhaust port pic to save my butt, the shadows in the curved port dont show much.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hoping to get the motor in the frame this weekend, but got some honey-dos to do as well.

Here's some pics as it sat today though!

Can't wait to hear a stout 445 FE barking through the 3 inch mandrel bent duals!

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Great build going on there!

We used to have a '71 F250 2WD Ranger when I was growing up. Yellow with black accents. It had a dog of a 360 in it until dad threw a 400 from a Ranchero in it. Ten years after they sold it, mom still refers to it by it's nickname, "The Screaming Yellow Zonker." Or "The Zonker" for short.

Looking forward to the rest of your story. :)

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Some pictures of the engine

445 cid, 10:1 compression, 270H on 110 ICL, ported iron heads with ported RPM intake, headers, 3310 Holley, Duraspark

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Rear window in, stickers have been there since the late 80s

A couple are peeling, will replace with some from the modern build. May seem corny, but the truck has always been a little of a wild child, the stickers are sort of like a tattoo on a hot girl :)

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
At least it is IN the truck, and not sitting next to it!

I have over 70 days of leave on the books, December I'll take a few days off and wrap it up!

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Getting there, put a nice shiny bed on it today!

As soon as we shoot the inner fenders and radiator support I can fire up the new 445!

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Maybe the worst video I have ever recorded, camera was auto adjusting so you can't really hear accurately and the engine shot was dark. Clearly my future isn't in the movie industry.

Pretty uneventful fire up, filled the carb, turned the key, broke in the already broken in cam as a precaution, and then set the idle and timing. Got to love it.

445startup.mp4 video by My427stang | Photobucket

It's got some snap and lope to it, despite a relatively small cam, hard to really hear it in the video.

It should be pretty strong though, I focused on good blueprinting and good intake/head airflow instead of getting power from a real rowdy cam in a 4x4

Here are the specs:

- 4.25 stroke. SCAT cast crank and I beam rods, internally balanced
- 4.08 Probe 17cc pistons
- 10.160 deck height
- 9.98:1 (right on the edge for the cam I am running)
- 270H, on 110 ICL instead of 106
- Stock hyd rockers with good pushrods and Doug Garifo end stands with stock tins
- D2TE-AA heads, heavily port by Les Schmader, med riser intake dimensions + 1247 gasket match, un-shrouded chamber, 2.09/1.67 undercut valves. Flowed 277 intake, 186 exhaust. (These truck heads flow about 218 intake from the factory)
- RPM intake, ported by Scott Johnston at RHP, opened to med riser gasket, plenum and roof mods built for my 489 when it was carb'd
- 3310 Holley 750, w/ 1 inch phenolic cloverleaf open spacer (Going to try a 1000 HP vac sec and an 850 DP once the truck is on the road)
- Hedman headers into mandrel bent 3 inch duals, 50 series Flowmasters (mufflers will probably change, had them on the shelf)
- Stock 1975 Duraspark w/ recurve

Ballpark HP at the crank should be 450-475 based on some other 445 builds out there. It idles at 850 and should be pretty happy in the truck, I am guessing about a 5200 rpm peak.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yep audio leaves a lot to be desired, maybe out of the cubby hole an in th open will help... Sure like the 'Stang vid/audio tho, sounds down right nasty....

Truck Is looking good tho.....

41 - 60 of 85 Posts