Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded to a 1971 Ford Torino from a sports bike. I'm only 24 and don't know to much about this stuff. I'm into cars and work on all of my own stuff, but just don't know the troubleshooting aspect of these older vehicles quite yet.

The guy I purchased it from said that if I don't drive it for a day or so that I will need to put gas in the carbs to get it to start.

The first time it sat for a day, I tried pumping the gas, tried holding the gas down when I started it. Did it so much, thought I might have flooded it. So I checked a plug on both sides, COMPLETELY BONE DRY! I put a splash of gas in the carbs, started right up!

The guy I bought it from said it had something to do with running ethanol in the fuel now a days. I'm not buying it considering the plugs are getting no fuel to them.

So I was thinking fuel pump, cracked line, but figured I would go to the experts before blowing money!

If this helps. Original 302 Motor with C4 Cruisematic? Trans. Aftermarket Edelbrock (600) <---- I think, Carbeurator.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check that the accel pump on the carb is working correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check that the accel pump on the carb is working correctly.
I checked this morning, seems to be working correctly from the exterior. The adjustment arm was in the middle of the three holes, I put it in the top for a longer "stroke". After that I had my daughter push the accelerator down and it sounded like fluid was running through. That was the only time I heard that.

Car still won't start without putting gas in the carb. Should I pull the top of the carb off and look to see that everything related with the pump is functioning correctly?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I checked this morning, seems to be working correctly from the exterior. The adjustment arm was in the middle of the three holes, I put it in the top for a longer "stroke". After that I had my daughter push the accelerator down and it sounded like fluid was running through. That was the only time I heard that.

Huh? SOUNDS like fluid? Should be able to SEE a full steady stream. Increasing the stroke is ok if needed but its doubtful to be the cure.
Car still won't start without putting gas in the carb. Should I pull the top of the carb off and look to see that everything related with the pump is functioning correctly?
I would but also look for gunk/junk debris. I am NOT an eddy fan but a carb is a carb and if gunked doesnt matter what the brand is. If its all clean and clear, while its apart i would replace the accel pump to be on the 'safe' side and go back the hole you adjusted for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts