Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced all O rings in my A/C with the green teflon type. Got to a part integrated into the line between the Expansion Valve & the Condenser.

Can anyone out there help a brother out & give me the 411? Also, is there a way to test to see if it's functioning correctly?

Regards,
Chris Kennedy

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hello Home Built Hotrods,

I am not familiar with the 4th generation full size (69-74) but I am very familiar with the 3rd gen (65-68) and that is the check valve on the liquid line. 3rd gens have it directly attached to the expansion valve.

Honestly I do not know why Ford used a check valve. I've been trying to find out a rational reason why for a few years now. Ideally the reed valves in the compressor head would keep the high side from bleeding back down when the clutch was cycled off.

The problem with that check valve is it uses an 'X' fitting that no one seems to make for hose replacements. I've omitted the check valve and made new refrigerant hoses and the system cools just fine without it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you DesertXL that explains it just fine! I am now concerned weather it is functioning? There must be a simple way to test it?
Chris

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Thank you DesertXL that explains it just fine! I am now concerned weather it is functioning? There must be a simple way to test it?
Chris
Hello again,

Well it is just a simple spring loaded check valve, if it moves open when you lightly prod it, it's good :)

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts