Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to put a pushbutton ignition into my Gran Torino. My boss gave it to me in order to keep me workin for him a bit longer. for the amount of time it has sat. im amazed it still runs. in the past year ive had to rebuild tranny. no big thing since its a decently old car. relpace the starter system. and now im gettin the Master Cylindar (breaks) done. but i dont know much about cars to be able to tell what kinda fuel system i got. its all stock. no mods at all.

Forgot to ad. its a 351 W

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Krazycrakker on 3/3/06 11:25pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question is how do i go about puttin a fuel cut off switch. ive seen it done to new and older cars. but i dont konw exactly how to go about doing it. I have a flip down ash tray. and i wana mount the switch upside down in there.

I just found out its a mechanical fuel system as well. so with that in mind i have no idea how to do a fuel interupt

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Krazycrakker on 3/4/06 1:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Don't be afraind to ask stuff, we all have to learn one way or another.
Stupid question, but why the push button start?
One thing, if you are looking for service information, I would suggest buying a set of ford books like off ebay. Alot of stuff in the Ford Manuals you are not going to see in a chilton's guide book.
Your car has a mechanical pump, nothing special, just bolted up front on the driver's side of the block, unless someone set it up with an aftermarket electric fuel pump.
What year Torino is it?
Drew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 1972 Gran Torino. and i assure you. with all my boss has told me. its all stock. I want push start so no one can steal it. i have to park it on thestreet cuz i live in some condos and its WAY to big for my garage. by over a foot. so as one of the security measures im gonna hide the push start. and fuel switch for when im not in town i wanna shut off the fuel so if anyone tries to steal it. it wont go anywhere.
I also bought the 5 set mechanics book set. but me not ever workin on cars before. its like readin chinese at points. im learning but very slowely. and its imparative that i install the stuff soon so im gonig for outside help to accelerate the process.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Just put an ignition cut-off and an inline battery shut-off. The fuel system cut-off is a little impratical and being its carbed they will still be able to get a little distance. But if your set on the fuel cut off you could put an inline valve and shut the fuel off under the car?

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
You can do a fuel cut off but it's more complicated and expensive than what you want. If you want an EASY push button Anti-Theft system just drop me an e-mail and I can draw you up a schematic and sent it to you that will be very easy to do and cost less than $10 bucks!

FE (Gary)
[email protected]t.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 3/4/06 3:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
112 Posts
I will spill the beans on a old trick . Your old Ford will not start up when the press in red wire on the starter solenoid is disconnected. Just lift it off close the hood and the car will not start.It saved me When someone took a hammer and chisel to my steering colum. This was when I went to the movies you cannot hear the alarm and everyone wants you shut that horn off.Either way do whats best for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.